Friday, January 1, 2010

Goals, Not Resolutions

I'm afraid to make resolutions! They seem like such a set up for failure.

At the same time, I don't want to let this opportunity of a clean slate just pass me by - because you know it will be mucked up soon! So, I'm setting some goals. After all, without goals, how will I know where I'm going, and if I've arrived?

I'm using Allison LaMarr's "Eight Lanes of Living" to help me put some structure to this. (Click that link to read the intro to these concepts. It is really good! And her posts that follow explain each and every one of them in detail.)

Spiritual Life:

I need to have a more organized prayer life - perhaps make myself a journal, and set aside some time each day. I know I am capable of making a great artsy journal, and that might be a fun project for this weekend - if I get all my other stuff done. I'm not all that efficient in the morning, and getting up earlier is more a problem than a solution for me, so it may be that I need to set aside time in the evening to do this.

I also need to find a good devotional for me. I love our weekly Bible Study, but really, I need something daily. I'm interested in studying the book of Daniel, but I don't have any materials. So, I'll have to seek something out and get a move on with that.

Family Life:

I feel pretty good about our family life in general, but there is room for improvement in everything. So, relative to J, I'd like to be better at supporting him through school challenges - like better at being consistent in helping him to practice his writing. I'd also like to be better at being consistent in expecting him to clean up after himself. Those are both pretty big goals, so for now, I'll leave him alone.

Relative to Andy, I'd love to have more one on one time with him. Maybe a monthly date night, to start with. Also, I need to return to asking him every morning what he needs from me that day.

For all of us together, I'd like to have at least a day a month where we do some adventure together just for fun. That's not always easy, but these are goals, not resolutions, right!?!

Professional Life:

This is a big area this year as I start my new job on Monday. So, first I want to be a sponge and absorb information about my new area of work. I think I'll try for one training event a month - whether that is attending a webinar (already set up for one later this month) or reading a book or article, I need to keep myself open to many new ideas to accomplish this job.

I also want to keep my Mary Kay business going. That means I need to start checking in with my customers so they know I still love them. I've slacked off in this, but can get better!

And I need to be organized about keeping up with my responsibilities at Andy's office - do time sheets every Friday night and do the filing after work on Mondays! That doesn't seem like much, but if I don't keep it as a priority it will get ignored, and Andy will be unhappy. I want him to be happy!

Personal Development:

Ah, the place I'm tempted to spend all my time. I'm thinking this covers art and photography. I'd love to find a photography class to take. They seem pretty far out of my price range right now, but I'll keep looking. In the mean time, I may look for a group of online people who would like to do a photography group and give constructive criticism and helpful hints to one another. (If you are interested in this, let me know! I'm really serious about this!)

And on the art side, I'd love to do at least four scrapbook pages a month, and one project a month with other medium (fabric, fibers, whatever). That's a pretty big goal, so I may have to keep the projects smaller.

I'd also like to work on my listening skills - be better at listening all the way before I start to formulate my response in my mind. It will help me with all aspects of relationships, I'm certain.

Physical Health:

This is "easy" in that I know exactly what I want to do: EAT CLEAN! I've been doing it for three days now, and I see so much potential! It already has increased my energy levels. (I got more done before noon today than I do most days total, and I wasn't wiped out from it!)

Financial Health:

Ugh, this is a hard topic. But, I want to be focused here because there is so much to do.

First, I want to really be good at paying off our debt, which means not treating my new income as money that is available to us. Instead, apply it to anything and everything that needs to get paid.

Second, I want to be a good saver. Andy and I want to have six months of expenses saved up (won't happen in a year, but something we will work towards) and still be putting money aside for retirement.

It is kind of depressing to think of these, because basically it means we will be just as tight as before, even though we are significantly increasing our income. But, that is only for a couple of years - then we'll be able to have a few extras, although we will always be putting money into savings! And, really, although we will live the same frugal lifestyle, we won't have the stress of being concerned that we can't afford what is necessary!

Social Life:

I think it would be good for me to have at least one outing a month with my women friends - whether that is just dinner together or an evening scrapbooking together.

And I would love for our family to entertain at least one night a month - we need to invite some of those wonderful people we love to spend some time with us in our home! We love to do it, but we allow ourselves to get too overwhelmed to make it happen. So, time to see if we can change that a bit.

Community Involvement:

Whew! Is there really time for this? I think I will focus this at my church, and be sure to keep a servant's heart there. I am stepping down as the Deaconess of Women's Ministry (not enough time with my new job), so I need to find another way to serve. I'd like to teach a Sunday School class or lead a Bible Study, as I've done in the past. Maybe that will be where I can serve.

This is an area I need to look into a bit more.

So, there you have it. A set of goals for the year. I won't have everything all perfect by the end of January. I may not get it all done by next December. But it is something to work towards!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

BRING ON 2010!

5 comments:

Kelly Noel said...

these are great goals...good luck! :)

Jenn said...

Wow...great goals...for now my goals are more private...only because too many people read my blog and such that would surely have their "own" take on my intentions...good luck, though!

MandeeM said...

great goals. i love how you broke them down into manageable categories. i wish you the best of luck... and i love your word... progress. what a great choice for all that you want to "work towards"

Sasha "sweet thang" Holloway said...

Great Great Goals and good luck and honey debt free is the way to be TRUST ME it feels SO SO GOOD ..

good luck on all your 2010 WILL DO's.

xoxo

Lulu said...

Amazing.. I think I could do with a serious sit down and make a list like this.. :)