Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Random Facts

I'll illustrate my random facts with a few random photos of two little girls who were willing to be my photography victims last weekend. 

Random fact 1:  It appears that photos I process feeling like they look great are posting here looking like they have way too much blue undertone.  Very frustrating, and something I'm going to have to fix soon!

Random fact 2:  Mangos are difficult to eat politely - I love them and take them to work often, but I have to hide from students and coworkers when I eat them, because they are so messy and ungraceful in the eating.

Random fact 3:  Tana the cat (the old fat witch who I've refered to as terrorizing the cute sweet kitten) is spending her first day ever outside today.  She'll get to come into the house at night and all, but she has developed some rather nasty habits (like peeing all over papers left on desks, and other yucky stuff) so she is not allowed to stay in while we are gone.  Plus, she's just mean to Sophie, so Andy decided she should stay out.

Random fact 4:    When I took the photo below I did not notice the ashes spread on my niece's forehead.  I now realize it probably comes from the fact that she and J were digging around for bones in the burn barrel where J creamated a dead pigeon a week before.
Random fact 5:  J and two of his friends shot a pigeon last week with their bows and arrows - as parents, we have mixed feelings about this.  The pigeons are a nuisance and a mess in the barn, and we'd like them to be gone, but as a general matter, we are not in favor of hunting and killing anything that you don't plan to eat.  But, this being Montana, killing pigeons in the barn gophers in the field, and coyotes anywhere you see them is culturally acceptable. 

Random fact 6:  Our school has a close to 100% volunteer rate from parents.  Yes, out of 54 households represented, 52 of them have done some sort of volunteer service to our school this academic year - and the year is not over, so the remaining two households still has 6 weeks to step up and do something.  Amazing, in a culture where the rule is usually that 20% of the people are doing 80% of the work.  I think it is a testiment to our school!

Random fact 7:  If you make a mistake and use baking soda instead of baking powder in the almond cookie recipe the cookies will puff up better, but taste not so good.  I know, because sitting on the counter is an entire batch of this inadvertent experiment.  Looks like I'll be making a better batch tonight with the powder instead of the soda.

Random fact 8:  Ten year old boys want to know the darnedest things when they get a few minutes of driving time with their mom.  Questions like:  Why isn't there air in space?  If God loves _________ so much, why doesn't he just make them believe in him so they can go to heaven?  What's for dinner?  Can we go to Papa's office instead of going home?  Why does Papa have to work? 

Random fact 9:  Ten year old boys often follow the answers to their questions with statements that begin with "I don't think so because . . ." prompting mom's to feel a bit frustrated at having put a great deal of effort into providing an accurate answer to the questions in the first place only to be told they are wrong.

Random fact 10:  After the 20 minute drive home from school my brain is usually fried!  If you don't understand this, you try answering the questions of Random fact 8, dealing with the response of Random Fact 9, and driving a hilly sometimes curvy road all at the same time, and see whether your brain is mush or not.

Hope that was random enough for you!  Have a great Wednesday!


2 comments:

Kristii said...

It was good to catch up on your blog my friend!!! I loved the random facts!!! Don't know if I could keep up that's for sure!

Jenn said...

Great randomness....as for the blue undertone in the photos...is it your monitor? Because I don't see that at all....just my thought. Hope we can get together and craft sometime in the future!