Sunday, May 31, 2009
Well, I'm dating myself a bit with that Joni Mitchell reference, but really, that's what it was like last evening. I went out to set some stuff up for a photo shoot this morning, and had to run back in and grab my camera. Glad I did. See what was there:
Speaking of cameras, I'm concerned that mine is going to need replacement soon. The quality of photos is just degrading a bit. I read somewhere that after 10,000 or so shots that can happen, and I'm pushing 17,000 shots on this one. Has anyone else heard that? I know it gets outdated easily because there is always improvements in the digital cameras, but this is more like the photos it takes now are a bit grainier and generally under exposed compared to when I first got it.
Yesterday was a work day at J's school. We were out in the sun quite a bit.
One thing that has always struck me about Petra is that the older kids will include the little ones. This is two of the high school boys (seniors next year, I believe) who hung out with J all afternoon. Nobody told them to, they just initiated "play" with him and let him hang with them. I love that! To me, it shows that the school is doing something right!
Have a great Sunday!
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Summer is here, evidenced by these two playing outside.
They are building a fort. Should be interesting! She's coming back over today, so we'll see how the fort progresses!
Yesterday J and I decided to make an archery target. We got directions off the internet here: http://www.ehow.com/how_11361_make-archery-targets.html
It is made by layering cardboard, foam and old rug (in our case we substituted old dog bed for the rug because they are of similar weight).
Cut the cardboard:
Line it with foam or carpet:
Continue layering for six to ten inches (we got to 7.5 inches):
Put it in a burlap bag (this was our idea, not in the instructions):
Sew the bag shut:
Then you can use it. Except, it started to rain, so we never got to use it so I don't have a photo of that part. Hopefully today!
J was a huge help in making this. He helped glue and sew, and he took many of the photos of the process. Throughout the whole process he kept saying "This is so fun!" It was a great Mother Son activity.
I also spent some time in my scrap room - while it was raining. It's been a long time since I've done anything more than tags. I caught up on two circle journals, so I'm ready to mail on Tuesday.
And then I did a total scraplift of a page. I mean, really scraplifted since I even used the same line of papers from K&Co. as the original. I did change some things (two photos in the original to one in mine, crystal swirl instead of stitched, different prima flowers, and several other changes). Here is the result:
It was fun to get back into scrapping some. Life is so busy, but I hope to set aside an evening a weekend to do some and keep from getting too rusty.
Have a great Memorial Day!
Saturday, May 23, 2009
- I've got some goals with my Mary Kay that are very achievable. Learning to balance Mary Kay appointments with having J home full time is going to be good for me - it also means I'll invite more of my customers to my home, so I'll have to keep the house cleaner!
- I'm working with Kristii to plan some scrapbooking activities for the summer which will hopefully include some other great scrapbookers like Jenn and Elizabeth! Also want to develop some classes for next fall!
- I'm excited about some hiking and other fun activities with J now that he's out of school. We're looking forward to seeing some water falls and lakes, and hopefully some wildlife. and some relaxing activities.
- I've got a couple of home improvement projects to work on too - paint one bathroom fresh, touch up paint in one bedroom, and maybe, if I'm ambitious, completely paint another bedroom. That is a summer's worth of projects right there at the pace I work!
- And my yard needs help like nobodies business. The field grasses have invaded my flower garden. Although this happens every year, this time it feels particularly daunting to think of getting it all out so the flowers can shine. Hopefully I'll make some progress on that this weekend!
We don't have any big travel plans this summer, but that's okay. With all my family coming this direction, I'm very satisfied with the plans we've got!