Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The last two weeks . . .

have been busy! Too busy in some ways. I wanted to be relaxed and getting things done to prepare for Christmas and my new job. Instead, I ran around doing . . . well, that's the problem, I'm not sure what I was doing.

I know I tried (unsuccessfully) to get a photo of my family for Christmas cards. All we got was this mess:

Not acceptable! So we used a photo from early summer of just J. And, it is in color - a first for us in 10 Christmases!

Then, I had to try a self portrait for the announcement of my hiring in the school news letter. I tried to do that by myself . . . again, no success. I couldn't get the focus right without someone to sit in my place while I set the camera up. So, Andy helped me and we got this:

I did a bit of PSE magic to make it acceptable - you can't see the five huge scratches across my nose - got caught in a fight between older nasty cat and sweet little kitten. The older nasty cat, named Tana, ambushed poor little tiny Sophie while she was sleeping on the pillow next to my head in my bed. It was about 6:30 a.m., and I was innocently sleeping. Blood was everywhere! It was a mess! I freaked out! Now, I'm not all that excited about nasty old Tana cat. And I'm pretty protective of Sophie. There have been two other night time attacks since then, and I hide under the covers with Sophie until Tana passes.

Anyway, the photo turned out acceptable. I guess. Wish I was 40 pounds lighter, but that's a whole other blog post!

The other things that have filled our time include:
  • Lots and lots of work for Andy - poor man hasn't made it home for more than one or two dinners a week. He's tired! But, the biggest case actually unexpectedly settled after he won a series of important motions in it - so now he doesn't have trial in January. But he's still busy!
  • Getting J signed up for Basketball - which starts the night after my first day at work!
  • making Scotch Shortbread to give as gifts - gave up on the fudge because of all the milk involved and my tendency to snitchel. But, the Shortbread has butter, and I still snitchel, so I ended up with a couple of ache and fatigued days - bummer!
  • Finishing up the Spell-a-thon - a huge success at over $12,000 raised for the school, meaning there were lots of awards to give to hard working kids!
  • Finish making some Christmas gifts - and think of other things to make, embark on those projects, and then feel inadequate because I still have work to do on them - if only I hadn't decided to do them in the first place!
  • A day skiing for Andy and J - actually snowboarding for J;
  • A last minute photo shoot for a really fun family of eight! And then editing enough of those photos that they had a couple to choose from.
  • A meeting with J's teacher about his need to improve his handwriting! We are working during the Christmas break on the simple task of just making sure all the letters are on the line - not above, not below, but on the line. Really, he has shown himself to be capable of some very beautiful handwriting, but he does not choose to perform that way all the time. Hurumph!
  • Lots of laundry, grocery shopping, last minute stocking stuffer shopping, and all that other stuff that comes with the season.

So, that's a recap! Nothing too exciting! Just a couple more days until Christmas, and I think I might get it all done!

Tomorrow I'll try to give a more J focused update for you Grandpas out there who might like that focus better than this.

2 comments:

amy said...

hey! I love your new do (i've been really behind...when did you do that?! LOL!) I love the pic your DH took...Merry Christmas!

milkcan said...

Sounds like you've been insanely busy! And I like the photo of the three of you. Very cute!