Saturday, December 22, 2007

TRIP TO WEST YELLOWSTONE

Jansse and I joined Andy in his trip to West Yellowstone on Thursday. Andy is the contract attorney for the State Public Defender who takes all of the West Yellowstone cases. Its sort of fun, although it does mean he travels two or three days a month.

Anyway, Jansse and I went with him this week, and made a bit of a day of it. Andy's court obligations were relatively short, and then we just sort of bummed around the town. Right now the town is just waking up for the Christmas rush. Many businesses were closed for the season, but about to open because the park just opened for the winter. (You can't go into the park in a vehicle unless you take a specially licensed snow mobile or the snow coach, both of which are expensive options.)
We didn't see anything particularly spectacular, but we had a great time. Plus, the judge invited us to join her, the court clerk and others for a holiday party/lunch. We hung around until that. It was interesting. There sat Andy, Jansse and I with the only judge in town, the town manager, the court clerk, the town social worker and the town chief of police (who happens to live with the court clerk). It was basically a town power lunch and us. Too funny! It was at a pancake house, and almost everyone had breakfast (except the chief, who made fun of the rest of us as he at his more traditional lunch of hamburger and fries).

The town is not decorated for Christmas, which was a surprise to me (and a bit of a disappointment since I'd brought my camera to take photos of the decorations with the snow). But they do have these artsy buffalo placed all around. Jansse looks so nice next to them! They really are fascinating! All done by the same artist, as far as I could tell.

We are now in the mad rush to prepare for our company who will arrive on Christmas Eve. The house needs a thorough top to bottom cleaning. Plus, we got our basement bedroom and bath fixed (well, at least the walls are now in good repair).


Last year, on Christmas day, our septic system backed up into the basement bathroom and leaked into the adjoining bedroom. Flooring/carpet had to be removed, wall board was cut out, and all the plumbing fixtures in the bathroom were removed. We had a variety of ideas on how to get the repairs done, including some swap outs with clients. Well, expect for the fact that Daniel the tear out of the wall board and put new wall board in place (but not taping, as that is not his thing), we didn't make very much progress. Until a month ago. Then, finally, one of our clients who also happens to be a friend and a brother in Christ, did step in to help us. And boy did he do it right. He and his son put old world plaster in both rooms. So, they look beautiful, except for the fact that there are no floor coverings - just bare cement. Oh well! We trusted God to get the rooms occupiable for this Christmas, and it is done (except that Andy and I have to spend today hooking up the toilet and the sink in the bathroom and the overhead light fixture in the bedroom). For now I have some little throw rugs to put by the beds so the guest's feet won't be cold, and bath mats will work in the bathroom. And I am trusting God to provide the appropriate floor coverings when He is ready. When I've got it ready for company I may post a photo.

So, a long post. I've got more to share, but will save for either later today or tomorrow.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

What a bummer that West wasnt decorated. I would have thought just like you, that they would have had something! Oh well. At least you had a nice day with your family. The 2nd photo of Jansee made me giggle. He has the LOOK my son gives me when he is less than interested in MY photo taking obsession!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Susan, thanks for stopping by. I don't think I've met anyone else from Montana yet. Never been out to that part of the country, but it sure looks beautiful from what I've seen in pics.

Have a very Merry Christmas with your family too! Hope you'll stop by & see me again.

Rhoda