Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Getting Old and Scrappy!

So, I'm starting to realize how old I'm getting. Just the casual observations of stiff joints - especially in my hand - crows feet around the eyes, more grey in my hair, less able to hide the overweight thing, you know, stuff like that.

Last night, perhaps to torture myself with my un-graceful aging process, I decided to try fussing with low-light and artificial light photography. The only model I had was ... me. Ugh! Got out my tripod - Thanks Again Elizabeth for the Great Christmas Gift! This session of photos proved my theory about me getting old, that's for sure. I must have shot 100 photos, and only one is even close to worth of sharing with the public. And believe me, I could tell you a million things that are wrong with it (besides the fact that time and time again I prove myself to be a terrile indoor photographer). But, here it is:
At least I managed a smile. I also learned - well, reminded myself of something I already know - IT IS MUCH MORE FLATTERING TO HAVE THE CAMERA ABOVE YOU. Don't ever try it from below because the results are just plain gross! The straight on thing isn't so great either. These days, gotta do whatever it takes to get even the slightes improvements in a self portrait.

Tomorrow I'm taking Jansse out to the upper part of the barn for a little photo shoot - with the right window open up there, the light is fun to play with, so I'm hoping to get some good shots of him.

Now, in response to the photo taking session and my observations about double chins, and other unsightly things, I am renewing my dedication to this:

I've been using them regularly, but today I did it with more vigor than ever before! And I counted my weight watcher points, and I'm just determined. I know many have heard that from me before, so I just have to admit the proof will be in the pudding (and if it isn't fat free, there will be no pudding!).

To console myself from the shocking reality of what I actually look like, I used a little free time this afternoon to make this:

It was fun, and productive because it is a sample for the "Spring Challenge Series" at Keepsakes by Design (link in upper right corner of this blog). Pretty simple, but nice to get a whole page done in less than two hours. I'm usually much slower. I did alter some Prima flowers with Luminart paints, and distress edges of papers, but other than that, it was pretty much stock product - another unusual thing for my pages as I usually have to alter and adapt everything, which probably accounts for the length of time I need to complete a page.
Just two weeks until I go to Inspired Artist Workshop (http://www.donnadowney.com/), and I'm starting to get excited. Need to spend some time this weekend getting out the photos I need to take, and starting to pack my supplies. It will be here before I know it.
Going on a trip like this (all the way to North Carolina, a place I've never been before) is so bitter sweet. You see, I'm excited to go, but I'm not excited to leave Andy and Jansse behind. I will miss them terribly! Life is so much more relaxing and peaceful when I am with them - I feel like I know what I'm doing with them, where as with the rest of the world I always feel a bit out of place. Hummmm. Maybe something I need to work on, huh?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Have fun at the DD workshop! I thought instead of lurking in on you, I'd say hi tonight!

Elizabeth Wickland said...

Congratulations on your renewed commitment to the step!! =D I started back up with my regimen as well, so if you want a little encouragement and accountability, let me know!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed reading and seeing your stuff! Have a great trip.

Hugs and prayers,
Aunt Jackie

Stephanie said...

Oakhurst! I used to have a lot of college friends from there! We will have to talk next time we meet up about it. BEAUTIFUL place!