Sunday, March 9, 2008

Penguins in Yellowstone!

Today we went into Yellowstone National Park on a wonderful family outing. The only roads open this time of year are up in the Northern part of the park, so we went in at Gardner (the Northwest Corner) and went to Cooke City (the North East Corner) and back. I'd never been to the North East corner, and I think it is my favorite part of the park - more mountains, rivers and wild life, less steam, stink and geo-thermal activity.

We saw lots of wild life, so I'm providing a few photos, with just a bit of commentary - because you know I cannot resist saying something!

So, first we have the obligatory bison in the road:

Then for the cow elk at the visitors center in Mammoth:

This next one is not a wolf - didn't see one of those this trip. It is a healthy coyote.
These are big horn sheep running away from the road:


And here are a couple of bull elk, eating what is growing along the creek bed:

And this is a new feature at the park, the Jansse Penguin!

He loves sliding down the stairs and walk ways on his belly at the Mammoth Hot Springs area. It made for good entertainment.

A miracle happened, and there are actually two photos from this trip that I am willing to share here that include me. First, this one with the Jansse Penguin:

And then there is this one at a water fall - not great, but not so horribly embarrassing that I can't share it.

Then there is this photo of my wonderful and very handsome Husband:

A very good day, indeed! And what a way to start spring break for Jansse!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Looks like you all had a great day! We have yet to go into the park during "winter"...one of these days!
Better photo ops of the animals!