Sunday, January 20, 2008

A Blustery Day

So, as I sit here at the computer it is -5*F, which it has been since about 3 p.m. this afternoon - its now 9 p.m. While that is cold, even I admit it, the killer part is the constant winds at umpteen million miles an hour. I don't know how to calculate wind-chill factors, but believe me, the reality of the outdoors is a lot colder than -5*F.

When it was still light out, I thought of the poor horses in the field next door. So, I bundled up in two layers of capalene, gortex, and wool, and took my little camera out there to see what was going on with those horses. Here it is:

Oh my gosh, doesn't he look cold? Yes, that is snow on his back and neck, not grey hair or white speckles!

And these guys are cold too! That's right, huddle in a group for warmth!

By the way, because it is not blue sky out, it was a good day to get a photo of the back of our barn without getting too much blow back glare.

Here it is, lovely and dilapidated as it is! But, Hey! It's got potential. Anybody got $50K to give us to fix it up so it's weather proof and more usable? Right now it functions primarily as a glorified storage shed for all our friends who don't have enough room for all their stuff. And really, that is a pretty good function! You'd be amazed who's stuff is in there! All safe and sound, and covered so it doesn't get covered with bird droppings. Oh, that reminds me, the barn is also home to multiple birds, I think a wild cat or two, and to lots of little rodents that I don't like to think much about. I'm guessing that the cats help to keep the rodents from getting out of control. And, we have a grand owl who uses the top of the barn as a perching place in the evenings. It is lovely! And, truth be told, I love our barn! Do have dreams of fixing up the insides some day, but until then, I still think it adds visual interest to our property!

So, time to climb into my flannel sheeted bed, cuddle up to my warm husband's body, and try to get my teeth to stop chattering - maybe the next post can let you know just how drafty a relatively poorly built thirty-something year old log home with weird non-log additions can be! But not until I warm up first!

1 comment:

Fuzzy said...

The barn is beautiful! Any time I show people out here pictures of your home it is always the barn that captures their interest. It sure sounds cold there, I hope you all enjoyed staying as cozy as can be.