Tuesday, January 29, 2008

PRECARIOUS!

Why is that blob of snow stuck there in the tree, when all the rest of the snow already fell out? Do you ever feel like you are stuck in a tree waiting to fall out? I do!

In fact right now I feel that in a very big way. Some events I don't need to share here have left me feeling a bit vulnerable. Now, before you start calling me and asking, let me just say this is not a thing of physical safety, and nobody is attacking me. In fact, give me a few days and I'll say "What are you talking about, I don't remember any issues like that arising.

I've just come to realize that many times when we feel settled into a situation we can suddenly look around and see that it really isn't as comfortable as we thought in the first place. It is PRECARIOUS!

I'm finding myself a bit unsure in one area, and it spreads. Yep, like ivy it entangles itself into all areas of my life, not just the place it started. So, suddenly I question whether I want to enter a certain contest with my scrapbooking, not because anything about my scrapbooking has changed, not because the contest has suddenly changed. Instead, I get this feeling because some other totally random thing in my life has become unsure.

And other things are impacted as well. Should I call that person to follow up on what we last discussed? Oh, no, since I'm unsure in that other thing, I better become irrationally unsure in my relationships as well. Throw in some insecurity relative to my parenting, my role as wife, and my ability to be a friend to anyone while I'm at it. You know, I might as well go all the way once I've started down this path.

SILLY ME!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? I hope not, but at the same time, I suspect I'm not the only human being out there who plays these stupid mental games with myself.

So, how do I stop it? Easy - Go to the Word of God. Yep! I know not everyone out there in Blog world is going to see the logic in this. But, when I look at verses like: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." (Ephesians 2:10) I just have to realize that no matter how precarious I might feel, I have purpose and value! I was created for a purpose. God does have a plan for me. And boy does that help when that little tiny ivy cutting of insecurity tries to take over the whole world - or at least my whole life!

So, am I going to enter the contest? I plan to, but I'm not going to work on the entry tonight as I planned. I'll wait until tomorrow or the next day when I am more relaxed - I can't get any creative mojo going when I'm feeling precarious. Am I going to follow up with my friends? Yep. Am I going continue to do what I know is right as a parent, wife and friend? Yep. Why? Because it is right. Because it is me. Because I can do it.

But for right now, I'm going to go to bed and start tomorrow with a new perspective.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Girl, you are so not alone! I have often felt the same way...kind of like waiting for the "other-shoe-to-drop" kind of feeling
I too take "comfort" in knowing that Heavenly Father is right there waiting...for us to fall. Oh what a sweet landing that can be!
As for the contest...you GO GIRL! I have yet to sit down and enter anything...and goodness gracious your work speaks for itself...ENTER! You'll be happy you did...besides who needs months of what if's???