Monday, January 14, 2008

Fences, Saddles, Thorns . . . Different Lessons Than You Might Think

Yesterday I went to help my friend Carin put up a couple - three of fence rails. It was hard work for two middle-aged women to do in the snow, but it was a beautiful day and we enjoyed it anyway! Her life has been a challenge for decades, and especially this past year. We've grown close, and we enjoy each other's company. Plus, we hold each other accountable for many things in life as we are both believers and wanted to work on living more in the image of Christ.

So, while there, holding a rail as she pounded away with a large heavy hammer, I looked and saw this in front of my face: See how God has put that big nasty thorn to protect the bud on this beautiful January day from any deer, elk, moose, or bird that might want to munch on such sweet and tender food. Wow!

Then, when it was my turn to hammer, and my forearm was burning from an unaccustomed use I looked up, and this is what I saw! Isn't it stunning!
Just pure beauty in color and contrast. Again, Wow!
This last photo is the reason I had brought my camera to Carin's house - I wanted to take photos of this old saddle, which was at her house in dilapidated condition when she and her family moved in seven or eight years ago. It looks so useless, but for some reason it has just been set aside in various places on her property, moved out of the way, but never quite making it to the dump heap. I saw it last summer and told her I wanted it. Yep, I want it for art. I've never done an altered art piece, let alone something this large, but I'm inspired.
The saddle has definitely seen better days when it comes to usefulness in mounting horses. But, in ways it is symbolic. You see, over the years Carin's family has been hit by deterioration similar to this saddle, culminating this year in a divorce she had feared and dreaded for years, the corruption of her sons in ways that leave her heart broken, and a brokenness for her spiritually that is beyond most of our imaginations. But, like that ugly old torn up saddle, I believe there is potential for beauty in her life. God can heal her - it is happening already. God can take the worst of situations and turn them into amazing life experiences of growth and maturity. And, the best part of it is, that's what she is seeking, craving, desiring, praying for, and beginning to take hold of.
So, assuming I can indeed turn that torn-up, worn-out, dirty, useless old saddle into a thing of beauty, I plan to give it back to her to symbolize the potential that is in her life - or if it takes me too long, the rejuvenating of her life that I know God will have accomplished.
Now, isn't that a wonderful goal to have? For me, it fits just right. Now, I just have to find the time to make the saddle into what I can see in my mind's eye.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

sounds like a fun/rewarding project. Have a great time creating!

Jennifer Stewart said...

Hi, there!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi :) Your blog is full of such beautiful photos! You live in a gorgeous place.

And thank you for commenting on my blog and for your enthusiasm about the INSPIRED event. I can't wait! See you in a few months!

Jennifer Stewart