Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back lighting

Earlier this week I ran across a bit of a tutorial about shooting photos with back lighting. It is here, and I think it is worth checking out if you want to improve photo taking.

Now, the photos I'm posting here are my first attempts at using the metering techniques I've learned, so there is lots of room for improvement. But it is fun to be learning!

J agreed to be my model one evening and did a pretty good job, although he really just wants to make funny faces and have me photo those. Me, I'm not so into crossed eyes, tongues sticking out and noses wrinkled up in my photos - even in my practice photos. So, these are what we got(you can tell he's working to hold back those funny looks!):

I'm not satisfied with the amount of red/magenta in these photos, as the above photo highlights, but I'm also working on learning to adjust the hue/saturation. If I ever get my screen calibrated it would really help. But, that costs money, so it is delayed until other priorities are met. There is always something I want, and I'm learning to go on anyway and do without. There's lots to learn that way.

I think he was actually doing a wolf howl in this one. Yeah, that's my boy!

Thanks for looking! If you have any gentle input to help me learn more, please feel free to comment.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think you did awesome with the backlighting. I have the hardest time with it. Love the sun glare in the 4th pic. Sorry, hit the wrong button, LOL!

Rita said...

Love the photos! No advice from me, I'm still very much a beginner. My DS makes those faces too...I can't seem to get decent pics of him anymore unless I surprise him, lol.