Monday, January 4, 2010

A Difference In Transitions

I remember almost twelve years ago when I quit my full time job to stay home and do infertility treatments I really had a hard time adjusting. I quit on July 10th, and all the way through the following January I struggled with what to do with all this time I had on my hands.

Of course, it didn't help that just after I quit we moved to a community where I knew nobody by my in-laws, and even they were traveling about half the time. And my husband had a ninety minute commute each way, so was gone before I got up in the morning, and back after dark! It was the first time I'd been without a job since I was about 15 years old.

It was a struggle to fill my days and find something that made me feel like I was valuable. I wasn't depressed, but I did have to learn to relax. It was a gift my husband gave me.

Of course, I had left a job as a litigation attorney where days were full and things moved at a quick pace. I had felt important and successful. So daily walks in local parks, reading magazines, and waiting for my husband to get home was really a big change.

But eventually I adjusted. During that time I focused more on my photography than ever before. I took my first quilting class, which really is part of what lead to me becoming a scrapbooker (that's another story). I started lunching with some of the older women in my life from time to time and learned to sit at their feet and absorb their wisdom. It was good for me!

Now, the reverse transition is proving to be a bit easier - at least if the first day is any indication.

I was really engaged in what I was doing today. The time went by nicely, and at the end of the day I felt like I had accomplished something. Okay, well go back to the post about this year's word: PROGRESS, because that is what I accomplished. Nothing is complete yet, but I made progress. Just some baby steps in many ways, but emotionally, it was huge!

I did a whole day at work. I was a self-starter! I learned a few new skills (like using the wireless printing system they've got going there at the school). And I was with people I really enjoyed.

What a gift from God this new job is!

11 comments:

Sasha Farina said...

so glad you had a good day, sweetie. :) *hugs*

Michelle said...

Glad things went well!

Jenn said...

Glad that the day was such a success....here's to the rest of those days being just as productive!!

lisa truesdell said...

so glad it was a good day!! here's to many more. =)

milkcan said...

Congratulations on your new job! You're a wonderful writer. I so enjoyed reading your post!

Jill said...

This is such a positive and forward-thinking post -- no wonder your word is "progress"! : )

lisa dickinson said...

love your word...and your attitude toward the transition is inspiring! go you! :)

ArlaMo said...

Glad your day went well!
I sometimes dream of empty days with nothing to fill them, but it would probably get old fast.

allison said...

Glad you had a good day! Love the word of the year!

diana albright said...

my mom always says "Progress Not Perfection..." so I really do love your word for the year! And so glad you had good first day :-)

Kelly said...

So glad your first day went well Susan Beth xxx