Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sacrifice

We went downtown for the funeral procession of Cpl. Nicholas K. Uzenski, a 21-year-old Marine killed in Afghanistan and burried here in Bozeman today.  J was off of school for the day, so we thought it would be a good experience for him and it would show the family support from the community.

There was an almost 2 hour wait for the procession, because the service went longer than expected. And the wind was whipping making us very cold.

I think with wind chill it was probably close to 0 degrees - seriously.  But we toughed it out and waited.

Then when the procession came it was so quiet from the people along the street, but the wind was making a haunting low moaning sound. 



It was quite approriate!


It broke my heart to see his mother, looking out the window of her car, and when she saw my son their on the corner, the only child to be scene, and standing out from the crowd, waiving his little tiny flag.  Her black gloved hand came up and pressed on the window, as if her wave was suddenly stopped and she was reaching out to touch.  I just cried.

I can't imagine her pain.  The sacrifice she has made for all of us.

I'm glad we were there.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so glad that you went...it is so important the everyone shows support for our fallen heroes...regardless of our political views. And what a learning experience for J! Thanks for the support....my son and our family appreciate it! I would have like to have gone but given the weather and my current foot dilemma, I opted out.

amy said...

oh my....the words you wrote touched my heart.

i wanted to tell you that i am slow on sending out a little questionnaire to you with some questions so I know what direction to go as far as making something for you! you are free to do whatever, whenever, in the pay it forward! so, hopefully i will get to it this week! fav colors, home decor theme, etc...have a blessed day!
amy

vtpuggirl said...

God bless her, what a horrible day for her to experience, something no parent ever wants to live through-burying a child. Glad you showed you support!

Anonymous said...

Brought tears to my eyes. You were supposed to be there for that moment with her. Truly beautiful.