Monday, April 14, 2008

Crocus, Baseball & Flood - It Must Be Spring!

These beauties were what greeted me when I walked in the garden yesterday. Finally! I've been waiting, and the snow melted to reveal them while I was gone. There are more too! I'm glad I found them because now, 36 hours later we are awaiting snow. Yep, more of that. It must be spring! I'm glad I got a chance to see them, because it was very possible they would be destroyed by snow before I could enjoy them.


So, spring being here, Andy and Jansse began to do some outside activities. While I was gone they made this:

I guess we can tell what kind of summer this will be! I remember my brother had a go-cart for years - no motor, just boy power. It kept falling apart, and he and his friend would put it together again, which was just part of the whole fun of it. They named their cart "Turkey" because it was a turkey for falling apart on them. I think usually what they struggled with was the wheels falling off, which does make the entire endeavor a bit futile until fixed. It will be interesting to see what Jansse does with this baby as the months of summer pass.


For the first time ever, Jansse is enrolled in an organized sports team. He let us know he really wanted to play baseball this spring, so last week before I left we got him all signed up. I'm a bit nervous about this because I anticipate it will not be great on our schedule since the practices and games are in town. But, for now I'm willing to go along with it. Andy and Jansse are pretty excited, and went out and got all the "necessary" equipment, including a batting helmet. Turns out we are pretty glad for the helmet as when Andy was hitting balls yesterday he hit a line drive right into Jansse's forehead, and we didn't even have a tear.


Jansse has a pitching machine he got last year, so he's got some experience with hitting. When Andy throws to him he at least makes contact almost every time. That is a good start!


Today I noticed that the canal for our area is partially in use. It runs behind our property and around it, and then crosses our road about 1/4 a mile up from our house. Right now it is full at that point, but it is just dumping into Cottonwood creek about 1/2 mile down the canal. I found that strange as it is about one month early for water to be in the canal, and it usually does not dump into the creek. When I got home I saw that our creek was super charged in a SUPER way. In fact, it is flooded. See:

Yes, that is the beautiful Montana sky that is typical of spring - light and clouds, can't make up its mind what to do, and looks beautiful while it debates the merits of each.

I'm hoping that little bridge that Andy made over the creek doesn't get washed out!


Now, for those of you - like you Daddy - who are bored by the art stuff, time to start skimming because I'm ready to show one of the projects I completed at the Inspired Artist event. This is a little wooden dress form that I dressed using paper tags punched from patterned paper. I put a few pieces of bling and some flowers on to complete the look.

This was a quick, one hour class the second evening of the event. It was designed and taught by Donna Downey, the sponsor of the event. I wasn't so sure it was my cup of tea, but we had a great deal of freedom with the decorating, and I found it rather relaxing to get into making something. I don't know where this will fit into my house, so I'm thinking of giving it as a gift to a friend here in town. We'll see.


Oh, and I won two different prizes at Inspired Artist Workshop. The first was a pack of Rusty Pickle paper with a camping/outdoor theme. It was just a drawing prize win, didn't require any special talents or achievements. The second was also a random prize, but it was a beautiful mini canvas decorated by Jennifer Stewart, one of the instructors for the event. Here is a photo of it:
Pretty cute, don't you think! I like it! Jennifer is a wonderful teacher - I'll show you the project she taught when I finish all the details later this week. And giving away a prize this nice was super generous of her! I am excited to have this as a memento of my trip!
Oh, and today Andy talked to Rich - HI RICH - and found out that he reads this blog. Too funny! I always figured it was just art nerds and my dad and sisters. Fun to know there are others. Leave a comment for me and I'll have an idea who all is out there!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

the flowers are beautiful...and surely buried in snow by now. We've already got a couple inches here...so I can imagine what it's like for you!
Anyhow...cute dress form and the mini canvas is a great memory of your trip. See ya Saturday....

Maggie Lamarre said...

those are gorgeous :)
MAggie

Anonymous said...

yes I do look at the art I just don't dwell on it long, I love the pictures of the creek, baseball player& race car. Dad