Saturday, April 26, 2008

A Day I missed!

I was working all day today at Keepsakes By Design - yesterday and today were my two days this month. I enjoyed myself, got a few things done on a couple of projects, but I missed being with my boys, who had a fun day!

They went into the town of Three Forks (where the Jefferson, Madison and Gallatin rivers meet to form the Missouri River - a somewhat significant place in the history of our country, if you know anything about big rivers!) Every year around this time a large herd (200 head or more)of horses is brought through the center of town as they go from winter pastures to summer pastures. Today was that day. We knew nothing about this tradition until last night, but Andy and Jansse decided to make a day of going there to see what it was all about. I begged Andy to take the camera with him, and he came through for me with some shots so I could understand a bit about their day.

This is an old building in Three Forks. I don't know anything more about it, but it is interesting to dream up stories for it!


Unexpectedly, they ran into people we know while there. Two of these girls are from church, and they were their with one of our pastors and his wife and two daughters. The other little girl is from Jansse's class, and she lives in Three Forks. As you can tell, if there are no boys around to play with, Jansse makes himself right at home hanging out with the girls!

There was a bit of a wait, but finally the horses came marching through town. I understand it only took a few minutes and all the commotion was over.

Then Andy and Jansse met our friend David for a hike at the Madison Buffalo Jump, which is a cliff area where the native Americans used to run the buffalo off the cliffs and then harvest the meat. A really cool place to visit, and it has a couple of nice hikes!

It was a beautiful day for getting outdoors! Wish I was able to be with them.

H0pefully tomorrow I'll be able to show you some of what I did indoors while my guys were outside enjoying the fun.

And, also hopefully, we are done with snow. It is almost all melted around our house once again, and the forecast is for a warm week - in the 50's, and maybe higher. I'm ready for rain, hail and thunder storms that are sure signs of spring. And I'm ready for long fast growing green grass, lilacs, lupine, and oh so many other blooms, which are still a good 6-8 weeks off. But if the grass is green and the snow is gone I might begin to believe that it will actually happen!

1 comment:

Elizabeth Wickland said...

What a great suggestion to go there! We'd never been before, but the Buffalo Jump really is a neat place!