Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Life changes - Fast!

Today we made a major decision - and wouldn't you know it, it lead to others. The big one was for Andy to turn in the final paper work of his application for the Army National Guard. Now, if they decide to take him he has to go. That's big! Not sure everything about how I feel about that, but it is what it is. I know I am proud of him feeling the desire to serve our country. I know he is qualified to be an Army attorney. I know that most things won't change around here, unless he gets in and gets called to deploy. Then, it will be major! Am I cut out to be a military wife? Never had to think of that before. And, it will be hard on Jansse when and if Andy is gone for long periods of time. Because if he gets in there is a 12 - 15 week training, we need a plan for what to do with his law practice in that situation. We've been bouncing around the idea of me taking the MT bar exam and then being able to keep his cases in the office instead of farming them out - that is the best way for us to keep the income where it needs to be since the Army National Guard does not pay enough for us to live on. Otherwise, we have to farm out his active cases, and he comes back to a practice with no clients, and thus no income. So, with today's paper work turn in, we had to pull the trigger on this decision too. Indeed, I will sit for the bar exam in July. Which means, I will spend the next four months studying. The three day exam is not so bad - I know it will fly by. The four month study time is a bummer. There are so many things I will have to give up - like much of the scrapbooking, and my Latin lessons, and being inefficient just because I was distracted that day. But only for four months, right? Oh boy, this is scary. Please pray that God give unexpected opportunities for joy during this four months, because I think I am going to need them! Its been fifteen years since I took the exam in California. I don't know if my 43 year old brain can handle it. This really is frightening! What if I fail? Failure is not good for me! And, if Andy gets into the Army National Guard, and I fail, then we are really going to face some financial difficulties! Ugh! The pressure is on! At least for me. I simply can't fail. If I pass, and he doesn't get in to the Guard, no big deal, we just have a bit of an insurance policy regarding how to cover the law practice in case of illness or other things that take Andy away for a while. Oh Boy! A bit of an update: Jansse still sick. Going to doctor tomorrow if he still has the fever. He's tired of it. I'm tired of it. This illness needs to get over. Fortunately for all of us, he doesn't get grumpy when he's sick. Just slows down a bit, which is a difference considering that he's the boy with no "slow" gear.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow....good luck with everything. Keep us updated. Life is always changing...sometimes when we least expect it!
Hope Janse is tip top soon!

Fuzzy said...

This is amazing! Talk about a day of big choices. I am confident that you will all be given what you need to handle this and whatever else we can't see yet.