Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Indiana Jones Movies

Jansse came back from Tahoe begging to see Indiana Jones movies. I just happened to have foreseen this issue, knowing that he would be exposed to television commercials. So, I bought the boxed set of the old ones and previewed them while he was gone to see if they were okay for him. I decided there is no way he will see the second one ("Temple of Doom") as it is too gross, frightening, satanic, confusing, and just all around inappropriate for him. Really, it is probably inappropriate for anyone, but that's just my opinion. But, the first one and the third one were okay as long as he had an adult to be with him.

So, we decided to watch Raiders of the Lost Arc tonight. First we talked a bit about the Arc of the Covenant, and I was very pleased with what he knew - the Ten Commandments are stored in there, and nobody except the priests were to touch it or they would die. So, thinking that was a good introduction, we rolled the DVD.

Here are photos of Jansse during the opening scenes of the movie:

Just a little scary.
Oh boy, this is a lot scary!
Maybe I'll take a peek, but I'm not sure I want to watch this.


Okay, I think I'm a real boy, and I like it, even though it is scary.

He did not let Andy leave during most of the movie, and when Andy did step away for a moment, we would hear a little voice saying "Papa, I need you."

But, at the end, he was raving about it.

By the way, from what I have heard about the new movie that just came out, he will not see it for many years to come. But, at least he will have some familarity with what all the marketing is about because he will have seen the 20 year old movie.

4 comments:

Fuzzy said...

I'm glad he liked it. Its my favorite in the series. I have been wanting to get my DVDs out and watch them. Glad you have your boys safely home too!

Anonymous said...

love that you documented this. and that you are the type of mom that would sit and watch 6 hours of movies to make sure they were okay for her child to watch. we've had to do that a couple of times with music. we've decided if there's any doubt then it's a NO!

go mom!

Michelle said...

Glad everyone's home safe. We saw the movie this weekend and are not recommending it.

Norma Kennedy said...

Luv ur pictures- boy do they tell the story ! We bought the set as well for our Boys and let them watch the older ones too. Agreed that they can be violent and misleading with all the satanic concepts. We are very careful with what we let our boys watch too.
Norma