Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Good Bye Rosie!

Yesterday my friend Rosie died suddenly of a heart attack.
I wish I had a better photo of her, but this is all I have right now.
I knew her through crafting. She took many of my classes - fortunately for me she was in the last two classes I taught! She was a joy to have around, always upbeat and excited for the projects. She never left a class without telling me how much she liked the project.
Rosie made beautiful cards and ATCs. She headed up the ACT club at Keepsakes By Design. A couple years back one of her cards published, even though she had only submitted on a dare from a friend. She got a real kick out of that, although she did not have big aspirations for being published
She took lots of scrapbooking classes, taking great care to document so many important things in her life and the life of her family. I pray that those pages with their stories will be a comfort for her family in years to come.

I should say, she knew what was happening with her body. She made the choice (and frankly, I'm not convinced it was a bad one) to go off of the medications her doctor felt she needed. You see, she tried the medications and they made her sick and tired. When she wanted to try lower doses of the medications to see if she felt better the doctor wanted her to take even more. She almost couldn't function and was canceling out of activities because of how the medications made her feel. She was very frustrated on the medications and determined that she would rather feel good and live less time than to feel the way the medications made her feel and possible live longer.

In the last month I actually saw quite a bit of her, and she showed not indication of suffering or feeling poorly. She was energetic, up beat, laughing lots and just a joy to be around. She took my cardboard book class in early October, and did a bang up job with hers. She shared the finished project with me at the retreat in late October - we shared a table that weekend. Her work on that book was beautiful. She used the theme of Yellowstone National Park, and she stamped and distressed and hinged and just made the most interesting book ever. I felt like I needed to revamp the sample after seeing the improvements she made.

I will miss Rosie!

12 comments:

Larajc said...

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your friend. How terribly sad. I am so sorry for you and her family, Susan. Prayers and hugs to you...

Lara

Amy Adams (aka Scrapitgal) said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Sending prayers and extra warm thoughts your way.

stephanie howell said...

oh, i'm so sorry for your loss.
xo

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

Oh my gosh. This is so terribly sad! I'm so sorry!

vtpuggirl said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend. There is a lot to be said for quality of life, and it sounds like she got to live the life she wanted, doing what she wanted, right up until the end. That's a precious gift too.

Kristii said...

Thinking of you today Susan Beth!
What a wonderful tribute to Rosie! I am so glad you had a picture! I am kicking myself because I wanted to get pictures of your table and the table I was at together and never got it done!
Thank you for the email too! I appreciate you!

Kelly said...

Sorry about your friend.
Thinking of you xxx

Kim Faucher said...

so so sorry for your loss... so wonderful to have spent time with her... love that you have some pictures of your friends/students..

mommy2alex said...

So sorry for your loss, that's just heart-breaking. Love that you were able to spend some time with her in the past months and that she sounded like she was truly enjoying herself once she stopped taking the medications.
Know she's spreading happiness now that she's returned Home, but I'll say prayers for those who are missing her on earth.

Lauren said...

I am sorry for your loss! Lots of hugs coming your way!

Kate said...

sorry for the loss of your friend.

Francine said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like a really wonderful person!