Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Back At It

Well, that was a longer break than I expected. Emotionally I was ready to blog on Sunday, but time would not permit it. Life has been a bit overwhelming, and while I'm coping, it is not at the level I am used to. Going to have to keep working on that.
A brief recap - our remaining dog, Leo, had an injury from the time he and Bo were out, when Bo was killed. He has huge gashes in his chest, which fortunately were not life threatening, but did require the vet to clean them out, and he's on antibiotics again. I think the gashes are actually from a barbed wire fence, but won't ever know for sure. At this point I'm just happy he is alive and relatively healthy.
This is a recent picture of Leo, just so you know which one I'm talking about.
On Friday we had a good trick-or-treating event in town with J's cousin and a couple of her friends. Then, on the way home we (I was driving) hit a deer that jumped out in the road, killing the deer. No people were injured, which is something to be infinitely grateful for. But my new (seven months old is still new, isn't it?) car was severely damaged. Now, we are a one car family for the next week or so until the Subaru is fixed.
Saturday I stayed home and cleaned all day. I was not motivated to go anywhere! Home seemed like the safest place to be. Sunday was church and more staying at home. Sorry, I'm just a wimp and really needed some recovery time.
Yesterday was an all day out of the house on office business in Helena day. Andy and I went together to do an unpleasant task, but it is done and behind us now.
And here we are at Tuesday, and finally I'm getting back into the routine of my life - at least I'm trying to. Still a little gun shy about being out and about, but not letting it get in the way of doing what needs to be done. And is sure seems like there is a lot that needs to be done.
I've been writing a gratitude list in my head for days, and will share that below. But first, I wanted to share two of my favorite photos from the senior portrait of AL that I did last month (I finally got them all edited and delivered them to her on Sunday at church).

She is just so beautiful! It was fun to work with her, and I learned so much!

On to gratitude!

1. I'm grateful to have my faith, which has seen me through many good an bad times, and kept me focused on God. To quote Rick Warren "It's not about you." I have to keep telling myself that, and having faith helps me to see the wisdom in that statement!

2. I'm ever so grateful for my husband and son, who are amazing people.

3. I'm grateful to live in a place where I can go on a hike and see huge animal foot prints, knowing it was either a mountain lion or wolf.

See how big that thing is compared to my shoe - and I wear an 8 wide, so it's not that my foot is tiny.

4. I'm grateful for friends who encourage me and comfort me and bring me hope in as they share their lives with me.

5. I'm grateful that we can pay our bill on time and even though there isn't much left after that, we are indeed blessed.

6. I'm grateful for moments spent working with my husband whether in the office working on files or up in the mountains cutting wood. He's a good guy to work with.

7. I'm grateful for J and his enthusiasm for life and school - he love Latin, getting an A in it at the quarter grading period, and speaking Latin words all the time.

8. I'm grateful for a wonderful school for J to attend where he can be imaginative but learn to be focused, where he can be held to a high standard on behavior, attitude and academics while learning about God's grace and mercy when he has a mis-step, and where he can hold his head high when he talks about God, not live in fear that he'll be punished for living his faith on a day to day basis.

9. I'm grateful for my warm bed, with soft new flannel sheets because it is so comforting to crawl in there after a day that pushed me beyond what I thought I could handle emotionally.

10. And I'm grateful for the opportunity to move forward in life with hope and joy even when things have not gone my way in the immediately preceding days.

So, I'm off to vote and take a walk, and then hit the ground running on office duties. Have a great day, and I hope to be back tomorrow.

7 comments:

mommy2alex said...

I am so glad to hear that no one was hurt when you hit the deer, such scary thing.
Hope that Leo heals quickly.
Love your list of gratitudes, warms my heart!

Anonymous said...

Glad that no one was hurt, but so sorry about your car...and sending good thoughts that Leo heals quickly :)

Rita said...

I love your gratitude list :) I'm glad you have those positive things to focus on. Hope Leo heals quickly, and I'm glad you weren't hurt!

Anna Willett said...

you are definitely not a wimp for wanting to stay in after the past few days/week. hang in there. i am praying for you... and that footprint... when i first looked at the picture i thought the human foot was a kid's foot. but then you said it was yours??!! holy cow! we definitely do not have wildlife like that around here. just squirrels, pretty much... hugs! <3 anna

Denise said...

I hit a deer once and it was frightening. I am glad no one was injured.

Sorry Leo was hurt. I hope he recovers quickly.

Kristii said...

So glad to see you blogging my dear!! I am so sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing!! Please know, I am thinking of you!! That is a great picture of Leo btw! (so sorry!)

Amy Adams (aka Scrapitgal) said...

Your list of gratitudes makes me take a moment to reflect, and remember, in all times of great stress, we still have sooo much to be grateful for. Thank you for sharing. Hoping your Leo heals quickly and your car gets fixed fast!! I'd be staying in for awhile too after that!!