Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tears and Sadness at our home

We lost our younger dog yesterday. His name was Bo and he was killed on the highway after jumping the fence around our yard. It has put a cloud on our entire household, and we shed many tears yesterday. J is taking it very hard.
For those of you who have followed this blog, you know we have been struggling to keep these dogs in our yard since the first or second week in September. We had done well the last couple of weeks, as yesterday was the first day they escaped in almost three weeks. We kind of thought we had the trouble licked. I guess not.
As you can imagine we blame ourselves for the fact that try as we might, we never were able to train him not to jump the fence. We just couldn't afford the expense of an invisible fence around our entire five acres of land. We really did try hard to get him trained using shock collar training, building up the areas of the fence where we suspected he was getting out, and never leaving him out if we were not home. But he was pretty strong willed - both dogs are/were really - and yesterday while I was in the house doing some office work both dogs escaped. I looked for them for almost four hours.
A very kind man called me to tell me he had seen the dog get hit, the driver drove on, but this nice man stopped, got him off the road and captured our other dog, Leo. He was so kind, giving me a big hug when I arrived. I was distraught and never did get his name, but he was very kind. Those dogs had gone miles from home - I never would have thought to look for them that far away.
For today we as a family are very sad and trying to move on and do the things that need to be done. It is hard. J went to school, and I think the focus of school activities will help him a bit.
I don't really have anything else to say today. Hopefully will be back tomorrow or Saturday feeling up to posting something more upbeat than this.

16 comments:

Helsbells said...

I am so sorry to read this. My thoughts are with you now.

Fuzzy said...

I am so sad for you guys. Especially for J. I know you were all so excited to get Bo, I am sure Leo will take it hard to. Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm so so sorry :(

Anna Willett said...

i am so so sorry! your family is in my prayers. such a difficult loss. hugs!

Lauren said...

Oh my!!!! Big HUGZ and lots of love headed your way!!!!

And what a special blessing to have the kindness of a stranger...

Heather said...

so sorry to hear about Bo.

I'll be thinking about you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so so sorry Susan Beth. That makes me so sad for you guys. {{Hugs}}

Nancywithajones said...

awwwwwwww I am sooo very sorry (((hugs)))

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this; I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for your loss. ):

Kristii said...

I am so very sorry for your loss!!
Pets are such an important part of the family and my heart goes out to you and your family!! Sending Hugs your way and lifting you all up as well!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. {{hugs}} your way. :(

Jenn said...

Bummer...I know how hard it is, especially after having lost both of our dogs this past summer.
Prayers for you and J.

vtpuggirl said...

I'm so sorry Susan Beth, this breaks my heart. I love dogs. But it sounds like you did everything you possibly could, some things are just meant to be I guess. Be kind to yourself, you are a good person.

Rita said...

Susan Beth, I am so sorry to read this :( I know you had been trying very hard with your dogs. I hope school was a good distraction for J. Take care :)

mommy2alex said...

I'm so sorry to read this, I hope that your family is doing okay.