Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Using that Costume

Every year I make a Halloween costume for J. He loves it that way. We go in August to pick out the costume and the material needed to make it. Then I make it, and he wears it whenever possible. This year he wanted to be Luke Skywalker. We found the pattern and I made it about a week and a half ago. Already he's worn it to three events, and Halloween is still three days away. Last week we got some new neighbors behind us. This happens about every other year or so.
They certainly look so right in the setting. But since they came the dogs don't sleep through the night. The new noises wake them, they bark, they want out, then they want back in, and we don't get good sleep. Gradually they are settling down, and we are ready for full nights sleep again. I think next week there will be horses on the adjoining field - that is a yearly thing about the first of November. It is nice to have these animals around, and I am thankful we don't have them as neighbors in the summer when the are smelly and attract flies! Nothing profound to report today. I'll show you a couple more layouts I did over the weekend:
This one uses the Fancy Pants Christmas line, which I just love. It is from J's first Christmas, where he learned to pull up on furniture as soon as the Christmas tree went up. And you can tell below that he knew he wasn't supposed to be playing with the garland beads. But he was so cute with the most wonderful smile! And this one is from when he was about 8 months old, and would just sit in the same place and play for the longest time.
Neither of these are super wonderful as far as design principles go, but they sure are fun for me to see those photos scrapped and the stories told. Sometimes I have to remember that having the story is just as important and really, just as enjoyable as some knock out design I'm trying for.
Today I'm hoping for a walk in the woods, and cleaning the house, and a trip up the mountain to get another dead tree for fire wood. Busy, but not full of pressure day. Love that!

8 comments:

Lisa Dorsey said...

WOW love that you make J's costumes! Would love to be able to do that. Great layouts!

liz mataraza said...

cool costume! i just made an indy one last night for owen! but only b/c i couldn't find one his size to buy!

love the rich colors and flowers in that first lo. beautiful!

mommy2alex said...

Great Luke costume!!
I love that Christmas layout, the look on his face is so adorably mischievious!!
Have a delightful day:)

Pamela said...

Love that first LO!!!

Jennifer Davis said...

I love making costumes too! Great layouts too, thanks for sharing!

denine zielinski said...

Your layouts are cute, and your are right...the story is the most important thing. I think we sometimes put way too much pressure on ourselves when it comes to scrapping. I am jealous that you make costumes....I wish I had the time, energy, and skill!Good job!

Anonymous said...

Love how all you crafty girls are making costumes...adorable!

DebW said...

Love the LOs and love the new pic in the blog bannner!