Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Photoshop Elements Learning Curve

I'm trying to get the finishing touches on editing pictures I took almost a month ago of three beautiful children.
Honestly, when I get wonderful complements from my blog readers about my photos I gain confidence in my photo taking. But when I go to prepare photos for my friends I realize how much I don't know, how much I need to learn, and I feel like I have not talent. This is why I do this for people for free!
Here is one photo I've been working on. I generally like the composition, although I see where it needs improvement. But that active 16 month old was hard to pin down, so this pose is one I'm willing to accept. But, the photo is dark and shadowy.
So, I tried to improve it.

But, I'm not sure I'm terribly happy with the editing. Certainly doesn't look as professional as I would like.

I'm a hack at this. I need lessons. Does anyone know of an on-line Photoshop Elements class? I've got a book that gives lots of information, but I learn better with assignments and feed back than just by reading the book.

I've been playing with frames a little too:

But I'm pretty unsure of what I'm doing.

Ah learning. Isn't it beautiful!

8 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Susan - your photos are lovely! Having a 3 year old, I totally understand how hard it is to get a good shot out of just them, let alone 2 others. I think you did great! I was really struggling with Photoshop about a year ago and felt like I was spending way too much time editing photos and not enjoying or scrapping them. I found an online course at ed2go.com for $99. It was a GREAT investment for me. I learned so much. It is online and self paced but a college level course. You might also check and see what Jessica Sprague offers. She's a great resource. Hope that helps. :) Laura

Chris Dodaj said...

Hey Susan!
the pictures are just gorgeous, I wouldn't change a thing!
I love the landscape photo, it's a beautiful shot!! You certainly have an eye!!

Chris

Stacey Michaud said...

I have Elements too and could use a tutorial myself. I will be paying attention to the feedback you get! LOL!

BTW: the pics look great!

Larajc said...

Lovely pics. I hope to hear what you find out about the online class.

denine zielinski said...

I think the pics look great. I'm in the same boat as you...trying to learn. I would love some info myself!

vtpuggirl said...

That's a cute one of the little girl in front of the barn! I do it for free too, I have to do so much to keep my license up that I don't have time for another job. You know?

mommy2alex said...

Beautiful photos!
I love your new header, so pretty!

Rita said...

My Photoshop experience is pretty much using a few different actions. I mostly learn my trial and error, or tutorials I find online, usually on blogs. Your photos are fantastic and I think those families will be really happy with the results :)