Wednesday, November 19, 2008

He is so cute!

J and I had a little talk yesterday. Before school he came to me and said: "Momma, I've lost my laughter." Talk about breaking a Momma's heart! I asked when, and he said "I think when Bo died." Yep, three weeks ago.
I know he's had his laughter since then, but I also know that the loss of that dog made a big impact on him. He's healing, but it sure takes time.
I response to his loss of laughter we talked about mourning, and how the Bible says there is a time for mourning, so it is okay for him to continue to feel sad. And that there may be times when he feels joyful again, and back and forth for awhile. He seemed pretty satisfied with that. And he cheered up knowing that there wasn't anything wrong with him for being sad about his dog dying.
I'll share a little poem he wrote for school last night. He was supposed to select an animal and write a poem that had five facts about the animal, without naming the animal. Then today the children read their poems to each other and tried to guess the animal. Here is J's contribution to this project (spelling all his own!):
I onse had a creacher
hoo liked to play in water.
He likes to Jump around
on the teeter totter
Neer the swamp where he was found.
He uses his webd tows
and very fast he goes.
In winter he goes to sleep
Under the mud without a peep.
He got a star for that one. Now he's all into poetry, trying to talk in rhyme all the time.
Just to keep you up on where he is otherwise, he still won't eat fruit. He'll eat small amounts of broccoli, loves refried beans, insists on having something in his lunch daily that he can microwave, and puts his scrambled eggs on top of his peanut butter and jelly toast every morning. He's on a ham and cheese sandwich kick for lunches - but no mustard or mayo please, he likes it dry, like his mother.
He won't change out of his school uniform after school because he claims it is the most comfortable things he has to wear - but come the weekend he loves his sweats and t's. He doesn't like to part his hair, but looks so nice when he does it because his dad told him to.
He considers toy catalogs to be magazines, and instead of making a Christmas list he is putting marks by the things he wants. Then, last night I found him with the catalog in bed, and he looked at me sheepishly and said he felt guilty because some of the things he marked cost more than $100. He said he asked for those things because he didn't want to have to make the effort to save his money for them. But he also knows that he's not getting five or six hundred dollar plus items - he's realistic at least!
He continues to love Latin. He likes school, but mostly because it's where he gets to be with other kids. He does well when he applies himself, but he is so easily distracted that he gets a few humbling grades from time to time. One low grade will usually kick him back into making an effort. He loves his teacher, and is really worried about her brother who they pray for daily as he is in Iraq fighting the war.
That's just a little snap shot. He's my boy, and I love him so!

13 comments:

liz mataraza said...

what a darling young man you have Susan! i know you are one proud mother...he is very special!

Kim Faucher said...

wow, what a sweet picture of him... so much emotion in such a young fellow!
a beautiful little guy though... so sorry to read about the doggie... time will heal...
peace
kim

Jenn said...

Sweet! I remember writing a poem like that when my cat dies when I ws little...can't really remember what I wrote...anyhow, we missed you yesterday.

Stacey Michaud said...

Aww...what a beautiful post about him! Soo sorry he is feeling sad right now. We have a dog and he is a part of our family, so I totally understand!

Lauren said...

WOw... how neat! Poetry is a healthy way to deal with death!

Lorrie said...

he certainly sounds like a wonderful little man you have there!! I hope he finds his laughter again soon!

Lisa Dorsey said...

Sorry to hear J is having a hard time dealing with the loss of his dog. :( It sure does take time doesn't it? K lost a friend last year in a car accident and we still have tears periodically. I love the way you explained it to J. I will have to keep that in mind. His poem is wonderful.

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

awww - there's nothing like the relationship between a boy and his dog. he'll never forget him.

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a sweetie! So sorry about his puppy.

rmpowers said...

What a sweet sweet poem. I love the picture too. It says over a thousand words. I also love how you taught him that it is okay to grieve the loss. :) Great Job!

Sweet Peripety said...

I love how you put so many descriptions in your posts about your DS. I think he is a treasure...and you know that, don't ya? What a cutie!

vtpuggirl said...

Love that picture, what a wonderful young man he is becoming. You will cherish these memories.

mommy2alex said...

What a treasure you have! I know you cherish it, makes it even greater:) TFS your thoughts and his cuteness!