Sunday, November 23, 2008

Second post today

Time for more of an update on the people here. Sprinkled with photos from that walk I took late this afternoon. It was a crisp and cool walk, with the thermometer showing about 17 degrees when I got home.
All is well at the Breuner household. We finally got our car back from the repairs after hitting that deer. Being without it for 20 days was a challenge, and we are glad not to be a one car family anymore, but we are also glad we had a truck to drive while the car was being repaired.
J is happy, healthy and keeping his parents on their toes. He and Andy went to the library on Friday, and he is totally and completely immersed in some books on tape he picked up - Star Wars and a book in a series about dragons. He got 100% on his spelling pretest on Thursday for the first time ever, and that meant he did not have to take the test on Friday. That was a huge accomplishment for him. His school work took a nose dive for a bit there after Bo was killed, but it has really improved in the past week. I think it helps that he is talking more about Bo and his sadness.
Do you remember that last spring/summer J took a tumble off a ladder? Well today Andy and J got the ladder out to put up Christmas lights and guess who flipped out. J. He was so frightened it bothered him to even see his dad on the ladder. He came into the house and then said "I was so counting on being part of this. But I can't be near that ladder. I forgot we had to use the ladder to do this." Poor guy! It's something he'll have to work out.
Andy is busy with work, and although it is hard, there are some highlights that make it all worth the effort. He was appointed to represent a little old lady in a guardianship case - she has dementia, a family member is accused of abusing her, and Andy is appointed to represent her interests in the decisions about what is to happen to her. This is the first one of these, and it is a lot of work. As you would expect, he has taken it very seriously, interviewing all of the relatives and social workers, and even going to meet this sweet little thing. He came home from visiting with her with the biggest smile on his face. She told him he was beautiful and that she loved him - first time they ever met. He said it was like being around an affectionate three year old. She touched his heart, and it is nice that he can have that experience considering what he does.
He's also busy coming up to speed to be on the Board of Directors at J's school for a couple of years. They called and asked him to run, and all indications are he will be elected. It will be a lot of work, but he is really excited about it. I thought he would turn down the invitation because of his schedule, but I was so pleased it was something he would take the time to do.
In addition to work at the office, he's returned to Bible Study Fellowship this fall - and loves it. I'm a bit envious. He's also picked up some work around the house as we've had a couple of home repair issues. It's gotten so he just gets the job done right away. It used to be that he was intimidated because that kind of work did not come naturally to him. But today he fixed a leaking valve in the line from the wall to the toilet in less than 15 minutes. And no cussing or yelling or growling either. It is great to see him gaining confidence in that.
I am back to my old self - no indication of depression left at this time. I really suspect it was hormonal, but that means I have to be on the look out for cycles of it, perhaps. Something to keep my eye on, but not to let dictate my life.
I've been a bit artistic lately, but don't have any pictures to share - too dark outside to show you. I made 25 tags to use as place cards for Thanksgiving, and they were so fun to make. Each one is different. They are all inspired by Tim Holtz and his tag art, although they are simpler than what he does. I do wish for some of his masks though, and may have to put some of that on my Christmas list! I'm also working at night, after J goes to bed, on a rag quilt for him. It should be done in time. Lots of bright colors - I actually started it three years ago, and got all squares cut. Now it's just a matter of sewing it together. It's all flannel, and will be warm on his bed. I'm also hoping that it won't slide off his bed, as his comforters always do because he thrashes around so much. I'll try to sneak in a photo of it when it is done.
I'm totally in the Christmas mode already, and excited that this week is the beginning of the "Holiday Season." It's going to be a simple one around here, but already I just have the warmest feeling in my heart.
Oh, and I won something! Heather Prins had a give away on her blog of an acrylic album she put together (all but the photos) and I won! So cool. I'll post photos when I get it and put photos in it. It is with that totally cool SEI line of winter paper, and I know I am going to just love it. Besides, she is a gifted and talented lady, so I know it will be a wonderful addition to the mini album collection here at the house. Thank you Heather for such a generous gift/rak!
This week I'm going to work on some circle journals as well as everything else. Its busy, but it is good!

3 comments:

Heather said...

congrats on winning that RAK from Heather's blog!

Rita said...

Stunning photos! It does truly sound like all is well in your household :) I'm trying to get in the holiday spirit by tackling some Christmas projects. I'm hoping to get some decorations out when we get back from our Thanksgiving weekend.

mommy2alex said...

I would love to print your pictures and frame them, they're SO gorgeous!! Have you thought about opening an Etsy with prints? If so, I'll be your #1 customer!
Congrats on the RAK, very fun to win something!