Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New Day

I'm ready for Christmas, how about you? I'm just saying. While all the election returns were coming in last night I was teaching these two pages in a class at Keepsakes by Design.
Thank you to the ladies who were there. This class was sold out, with a waiting list. That is a thrill to this teacher!
I left the class, turned on the radio in my truck and came quickly to understand it is a new day in our country's history. A new era.
Now, I fully and proudly admit, I voted for John McCain. I simply agree with him on policy much more than I do with Obama. But, that was not the consensus of the American people. So, here we are.
And, frankly, although it was not the outcome I hoped and prayed for on policy, there is a huge part of my heart that finds something to celebrate.
You see, I remember a time when an African American in the highest office of the land was impossible to consider. At 43, I am not that old, yet I can say that in my lifetime things have changed greatly, and for the better in race relations, and the election of Obama is evidence of that.
I remember less than a decade ago it was remarkable to have a black man as Secretary of State, and a Hispanic man as Attorney General. These steps are important in the development of freedom in our country.
We still have attitudes of prejudice based on race and ethnicity in our culture, but we can be assured that we are making progress. That progress is something worth celebrating, no matter what policies I would rather have in place regarding economics, abortion and international affairs.
As John McCain gave his concession speech I was driving home from teaching a class at the scrapbooking store in a wicked snow storm. Not able to go more than 15 miles an hour, the driving was intense. But, I was still struck with how much class John McCain has, how gracious his speech was, and how his love for this country shines through even in what must have been an hour of great disappointment for him.
I also listened to Obama's acceptance speech. It was history in the making and I felt obligated because of that. He, as an individual, scares me. And what it indicates about our country that he was elected also scares me.
Yep, I admit it. Not because of his race. Not because of how he was raised.
But because of his stance on abortion. Because of his liberal policies to "redistribute" wealth. Because of his inexperience in making executive decisions under pressure. Because of what I view as a naive view of international affairs. Because of . . . . oh so much more.
But still, I am proud of our country's progress that his ethnicity did not keep him out of office.
A new day. I pray it will be a good one.

10 comments:

Laura said...

Susan Beth - thank you so much for this blog post. My heart feels the same way and it is so nice to see it in words. You said so eloquently. I'll be praying too!!!

RagsNehali said...

beautiful layouts..specially the "amaze me" one..

Lauren said...

Great layouts!

And while I voted for the president elect, I do not think it will be as bad as you fear. We have a system of checks and balances in our government and if you happen to believe in God (or other), we always have the power of power. And even though I voted for Obama, you betcha I will be praying that God uses him for good!

Rita said...

Beautiful LOs! Love all the layering and details! You always use such rich, beautiful colors!

Terri said...

really lovely layouts....
I also pray that your fears will be lessoned as we all get to know the Real Borack Obama. I believe there is little to fear of the man or his policies. God Bless us all!

vtpuggirl said...

I agree with your views on the election. What I find disturbing is that while I'm happy to celebrate an African american being president, I'm equally sad that a woman did not, and does not get to hold either the pres or vice pres spot. In an era when all men are truly created equal, they are still all men. :(

mommy2alex said...

Lovely layouts!! Love the pocket, so sweet:)

Kristii said...

I am right there with you regarding the election and I will continue praying for our president like I have been praying for our current Commander-in-Cheif. Ultimately, God is in control! Thanks be to God!

Your layouts are stunning my dear and I am so excited that your class was "sold out"! That is a testiment to their beauty!

liz mataraza said...

i am very afraid too. what does this say about our Country? has it changed that much just since i was a child?

i really wish there was another Ronald Reagan somewhere to promote personal responsibility in all things and to make these younger voters realize that government is never the answer, except to keep us safe from enemies to do as we wish for ourselves and our families.

love your layouts. and i'm so sorry to read about your puppy. that is heartbreaking.

sorry that was so long.

Anonymous said...

I've been reading through your blog....sorry, I'm having to play catch-up--I'm also so sorry to hear about Bo. I'm hoping you all are getting through the healing process quickly. I can't believe you're already doing Christmas cards. I'm still trying to cope with the fact that all of the stores are decked in Christmas cheer...I'm still trying to work my way through Halloween candy! Your layouts are amazing. I love all of the rich colors you used. And congratulations on having a sold out class!!