Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Fudraiser for Jennifer

This week I am busy working on a silent auction to take place at a fundraiser for my friend Jennifer. You may remember I've mentioned her on this blog before, but here's a short version of what's going on. She has leukemia in a bad way. She's in Seattle getting the best care possible, but that is expensive. Things are hard. No way around that. She doesn't complain much, but I understand that she is weak beyond my own comprehension, she is almost half way done with chemo, but it takes it's toll on her. Her family is with her, but that means her husband is not able to work his business her in Montana, leaving much to his brother to take care of. Their daughters are with them now, but it is unclear how much of the care for them Jen is able to give - although I know they are an encouragement to her for sure!

So, a group of us put together a fundraiser for them. As you all know, insurance does not cover everything. Plus maintaining their Montana home (mortgage, etc) and paying to live in very expensive Seattle is not something they budgeted for. And, yet to come, assuming all goes well with obtaining remission, is a bone marrow transplant, which searching for a donor is not covered by insurance. So, this family that has been so financially responsible for years and years now needs a fundraiser. And lots of prayers!

I am amazed at the generosity of the folks in our community. As I am putting together the list of items for the auction, organizing how they will be displayed, and getting all the paper work ready I am overwhelmed. There is some great stuff! One woman put together a vintage fourth of July package, with antique chairs, rugs, pillows, umbrella! It is amazing. We could auction off her talent at decorating as much as we can the items. We've got the outdoor stuff too! A spotting scope, fly fishing gear, river rafting stuff, gardening stuff, and home improvement stuff. Plus, lots of kitchen stuff too - including a handmade recipe book by my friend Elizabeth Wickland (you can get to her blog by following the link on the upper right of mine).

So, this is what I am busy with. Hopefully some baseball this afternoon - finally got weather that means it just might happen. I'll be back later with a baseball report. And maybe some sneak peaks at the items for the auction!

No comments: