Friday, June 27, 2008

We're Off!

Going camping. Just one night. Sort of awkward to arrange, but we worked it out. Andy and Jansse go up. I join them after work on Friday. Then I leave early on Saturday so I can go to work again. Amazing that working one weekend a month can result in so very many scheduling conflicts. Everything from baseball games to camping to trips to Lake Tahoe. How can that be?

Camping will be fun, but it means I will also miss out on my first "Reveal Night" at Studio Calico. I subscribed to that kit club this month for the first time, only to find out that the night the reveal the contents of the monthly kit and the contents of the "Add Ons" is like a huge deal. Right now, probably one of the biggest events in the on-line scrapbooking world. I had no idea! But, I'll be missing it. Have to wait to experience it until July. I'll get my kit because I subscribe. And I have a friend who will order me the add on kit I want, so I'll get my product, but I'll miss out on all the chatter and fun. Oh well. If I don't go camping I won't have things to scrapbook about, right?

This week was VBS at church. Tonight was the wrap-up carnival, and Jansse had some fun:



Bounce houses abound! He loves that!

But, he also had his first ever "incident" with another child that left him in tears. This other boy hit him in the face and called him names. Andy and I did not see it, and we were not able to find the boy or his parents (there were tons of people there), so I'm not completely clear on what happened. Sounds like Jansse was at the super soaker station, filling up. The boy came over and was shooting water in his face. Jansse asked him to stop. He didn't. Jansse put his hands up in front of his face to protect himself. The boy put the super soaker up to Jansse's hands. Jansse pushed the super soaker out of the way. The boy punched Jansse in the face and called him names. Jansse cried. That is the version we got. Makes me so sad.

Now, don't go thinking I'm a bad mom for this, but I don't know whether I should hug my child and storm off looking for the bully, or whether I need more information - like how rough was the play before Jansse was filling his super soaker? Not that I think Jansse is a wimp, or that he would lie, or that the other kid was innocent. It's just that not having seen it I wonder if this should be processed as a "What to do with a bully" thing or as a "This is what happens when you play too rough" thing. Given the name calling, I'm inclined to think that this was more of a bully situation than play escalated to a level Jansse wasn't comfortable with. It is just so hard. When tucking Jansse into bed tonight the his dad and I talked to him some more about it. We left it at advising Jansse to avoid this other boy (fortunately he is not around often) and to learn to forgive. Jansse was doing better with it, but it still breaks my heart. I mean, my boy was crying. He almost never cries in public. It was sad!

I'll be back tomorrow with photos of our camping and any layouts I do while working at the store.

9 comments:

Sweet Peripety said...

We started our VBS last week, and am having it every Wednesday for the rest of the summer! This is the first year for BOTH of my children to be in it, and I have been a hawk watching my DS (who is 3) but you never know with him. Oh dear- that is really tough and your poor son! I would be crying right along with him. I hate seeing my kids hurt. Good to meet you at SC!

Alex Hardy said...

those are always tough parenting situations!
my husband's family are avid campers.
my MIL is taking our boys on a 2 night camping trip tomorrow while my husband & i jet off to NYC for five days!
it'll be fun to see what we scrapbook about camping! :)

Kristii said...

My heart aches for you. Poor Jansse! It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly!
Have fun camping!!

Jen Martakis said...

Aww, knowing the right way to handle things is so hard sometimes. I think you did a wonderful job. Have a wonderful night of camping!

Larajc said...

Ohhh, your poor boy. Bullies are never fun and it is hard to deal with them. I do think getting more information is always good though when you are advising him about how to deal with it next time. My DD is bullied alot!

Rita said...

Hi Susan Beth,

This is Rita from SC.
I hope you have a great time camping! Your comment on my blog totally made my day - blogging is pretty new for me. Your posts are really inspirational, I'll be checking back soon!

vtpuggirl said...

Have a great time camping! You can get the add-ons another time. New ones every month!

doris sander said...

ooooooooooh camping! :D

Stephanie said...

It was wonderful to see you today! Have a wonderful time camping, and I'm so sorry to read about your DS's encounter with unkindness:( Ugh!