Monday, March 23, 2009

The Plan, At Last!

First, let me say: WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING?!?!?!?!?! Woke up to 12 inches of new snow this morning. UGH! That's spring time in the Northern Rockies for you! All of you in warmer climates, eat your hearts out! Ha! And think about those poor Sandhill Cranes out there in the frozen white stuff!

Second, let me set the stage for the information below in case you don't remember the general gist of what is going on. Recognizing that we were getting into a financially vulnerable position due to the down-turn in the economic conditions in this country and some unexpected big expenses. We recognized that the law office has seen a decrease in private pay clients because more and more people qualify for the public defender. That means we get work, but at a much lower pay rate than we were averaging before. And, my little job at the Local Scrapbook Store is over because the store is closing this coming Saturday. (There may be some new form of that business evolving, but right now none of that is set up, so we can't count on any income there).

With all that in mind, Andy and I set out to see where we can cut back and how we can make more. We gave ourselves a two week research period, which ended today. Now, we are moving on to taking action so we can relieve the financial stress we feel. I don't want to get anyone in a panic about our situation, but I also don't want to sugar coat it. We need more income and fewer expenses. Plain and simple. I'm sure we aren't alone. It will take a while under any plan to get to back to where we want to be, but all is not lost, and we are going to be able to meet all our obligations, just a little slower than we would like.

We considered everything: selling our home (yeah, like that would be a quick fix in this market!); renting our home out for the cost of our mortgage, and then renting a small cheep place for us in town to save on gas to and from town, heating costs, and a whole bunch of other things (for awhile I would have put money down on us doing this, but no, it is not the plan); as posted about two weeks ago, I considered being a school bus driver, but that was a no go with Andy; and we've considered selling my engagement ring (big diamond would generate a bit of cash to accomplish some of our goals quickly - by the way, this was my idea, and Andy is not at all excited about it, but it remains on the table at this point); cashing out the little retirement fund we've got in reserves (this is also still on the table, although no final decision there yet either).

Here are some things that we know we are going to do.

First off, we are going to become a one car family for awhile. We'll sell the truck and plow to generate a bit of cash to create an emergency fund (our old such fund is used up). So, this is not a scene we'll be witnessing too much longer:

Another thing we are going to do is move Andy's office back into the space we have in town for meeting with clients. That will allow us to save on gas and Andy's time running in and out of town for court appearances. We expect this will make Andy more efficient, and hopefully allowing a net gain in his billings each month. It also will allow a savings on some phone issues because we won't need the business and fax lines at home anymore. I will spend Monday's in town doing office filing and other office work, but I'll still do the office billing out of our home. And I'll spend most of my days at home, which sounds great to me!

Now, here come the really exciting things:

By emptying the home office space we'll be doing some re-arranging in the house: I'm going to move my scrap/craft space into his bright, sunny huge old office, set up tables in the middle, and teach some classes out of my home. The hope here is to replace, and possibly even increase my income from this activity. My plan is to do one or two classes a month, and to invite other teachers who will now be without a place to teach to use the space as well. I'm kind of excited about this. The only contingency on this plan is if the LSS does do activities even after giving up the store-front space, I do not want to be in conflict with that. It was a great gig for me, and I would not want to create any ill feelings there, so I will do my best to always work around whatever might come out of that situation. By the way, this was Andy's idea, proving once again what a super cool supportive husband he is!

I'll also try to make a little money taking senior photos and family photos. Heck, I even have a shoot scheduled for Wednesday afternoon/evening, so I'm feeling like this might be a bit of unpredictable, but welcomed money making opportunity. I'd like to set aside money made here to buy better equipment, but we'll see where the priorities are as these plans all develop.

Then, to have something a bit more predictable than classes and photography, I've also become a Mary Kay Consultant. . . .

Okay, a few of you need to quickly pick yourselves up off the floor so you can keep reading.

All settled back in your chair? Then let me explain.

This is about the last thing I ever expected to jump into as my often sloppy, on the go lifestyle does not always include wearing make-up and taking time to put my best foot forward in the way of appearance. But, the way it all came about, I know this is where God is leading me - believe me, I prayed long and hard before I took this leap. I am so nervous about starting this business - buying an inventory is a lot of money and now I've got to sell it. Booking parties/shows/make-overs takes effort. I don't want to be the friend that you don't want around because you're afraid she'll try to sell you something. All of these things continue to bounce in my mind, but I know that I'm doing the right thing here.

It was a challenging decision. But let me tell you what happened to seal the deal.

I'd been given an invitation to become a consultant and was considering it because it allows me to continue to be Andy's support staff at the office, be a good mom to J, and to make a more regular income. A bit to my surprise, Andy was all for the idea. He didn't think it was crazy at all. He thought it went right to my heart for loving on and encouraging women.

So, I set myself to prayer for God's guidance. One morning I was praying as I cleaned in the kitchen, and I prayed "God, if this is not the right thing, would you please drop something else into my lap before I need to give my answer to my friend next week." Well, just as I ended that prayer request and opened my eyes, a still small voice (a very calm still small voice I might add) said to me "I dropped this in your lap."

Oh!

MY!

I do not get that kind of a response to prayer very often, so I'm not one to ignore it just because it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Since then, what God has put on my heart is that I will do this business in the most loving and caring way possible. If someone doesn't buy product from me, but we have a chance to get together, play with samples, and just spend time together I will consider that a success for the fact that it provided woman to woman time in this crazy and hectic world of ours. I will work hardest to connect with women, and use these opportunities to minister to them. So many women are isolated, lonely, stressed, or hurting in some way. This will be an opportunity to love on them. And since the product is good and reasonably priced, I trust God that it will provide whatever He thinks we need in the form or income from this adventure.

So, that dear blog readers, is the plan.

Now, rest your weary eyes from all these words, and have a wonderful Tuesday!

12 comments:

Kristii said...

Hi my friend!!! Lots of changes in your household and all for the good!!! God works in mysterious ways and I know He will continue to guide you and bless your efforts!!! You are a jewel my friend and I wish you a happy Tuesday. BTW, consider yourself tagged!!! Check out my blog for the particulars!!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, my dear! It seems as though you all have a handle on the situation, which is more then i can say for lots of people, good for you two!

Suz said...

Change & trials sure aren't easy... but God does see us thru it. Best wishes for your new business. They are saying on the news that is the part of the stores that are busy because it's a cheap way for women to feel better about themselves

Lauren said...

Isn't it AWESOME when you get something that is SO clear and amazing??? It doesn't happen to me a whole lot, usually much more stuble. BUt sometimes, he doesn't "leave chance to fate" and gives you an ANSWER! LOL

Rita said...

I'm so happy to read about your plan! I especially love that it will enable you to continue with the aspects of your life that are the most important to you. You have a real gift for encouraging and ministering to women so I know you will succeed!

Fuzzy said...

I think this is a fantastic plan!! Lots of little bits to it, but I know you guys will be able to get the most out of each part. I've even drummed up some MK business for you out here so send a catalog! Love you!

Pamela said...

Wow...love it when God speaks to us in such sure ways! :) Good luck!

Denise said...

I am so impressed with the thought and consideration you have put into this. I am so excited for what the future holds for you and your family!

Cath said...

Wow, big changes! I really admire your positivity in working things out for the better. Good luck!

vtpuggirl said...

Sounds like you have thought it through and prayed on it and now you have a plan. I know it's going to work out for you, and I have faith that you can do it!

Sweet Peripety said...

hugs to you dear friend...i am praying that God will continue to provide your family with peace and financial wisdome and paths...i really see how encouraged you are in this post, Susan Beth! I am glad to hear some exciting changes are coming their way for you...I don't mind having Mary kay consultant friends LOL! I am sure no one will ever think you are over bearing with that.

Kelly said...

Susan Beth - you are such a beautiful soul. I love your ideas and I love that your husband supports you. And I wish you both all the best with your plan.
I know you will succeed ;o)