Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spring Is Here!

Do you know how I know that? Well, in the Northern Rockies there are certain tell-tail signs.

For example, today we heard the Sand Hill Cranes. A sure sign of spring.

Also, this was my first day in the garden - meaning I went and cut down all the dead stalks that have been the winter garden for the snow to decorate - and in doing so, there were green bits hidden deep in the center of the plants - potential columbine, lupine, bee balm and holly hock waiting three more months before there is any hope of bright colors like this:

I couldn't even find a crocus coming up today, so it is definitely very early spring. But spring all the same!

And the final proof of spring today: it rained and then hailed briefly, and rained some more. All in a good Montana Spring Day. Big sigh!

Just for the heck of it I thought I show you some photos I recently edited - two different black and white versions of the same photo:

I like them both, for different reasons. The first one is so crisp, but the second has a dreamy quality to it. The whites are white, but not completely blown out in both of them. By the way, just to let you know, I've been reading more and more photography posts and tutorials and blogs, and I'm becoming quite dissatisfied with my equipment. That is not good, because at this point the equipment I have is what I'm going to have for the foreseeable future. So, dissatisfaction is not a good mode for me right now. I'm casting it away and making the most of what I do have - an older camera, and whimpy lens and a whole lot of heart when it comes to trying to get better photos.

Plus, I haven't been taking many photos the last five days or so because there has just been too much else going on. But, that is for tomorrow's post - I've got it all worked out in my head but need more time to get it posted, to explain the changes that are happening around here, the options we did not elect to follow, and the ones we did. There are some big surprises coming up for all of you loyal readers!

There, how's that for an intriguing ending to a post!

Have a blessed Monday!

6 comments:

Houston said...

Hope your mood improves, I know that I fall into that rut of dissatisfaction too. Beautiful photos, I agree that they are both wonderful for different reasons!

Rita said...

Yeah for Spring! I would love to expand my camera equipment, but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I just keep practicing and experimenting, although not nearly as much as you. I think your photos are wonderful! Looking forward to hearing your news!

Fuzzy said...

On pins and needles here waiting for tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

hoping spring comes quickly so you can see the fruits of your labor!

vtpuggirl said...

Glad spring is here, we had a beautiful day! I can't wait to hear what you've been up to and decided, been thinking of you. Don't worry about the equipment. Mine is old too, no fancy lenses. You just need heart.

Stacey Michaud said...

I think your photos are beautiful even with the equipment you have!