Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Updating!

So, I haven't been good a updating lately. I love blogging, but frankly, life is getting in the way. There is lots to share, and some of it not exactly good news. To keep things from being too much of a downer, I'm posting some photos from a really fun family hike/walk we took on Sunday afternoon.

J is having some struggles in school. Nothing earth shattering or hopeless, but boy is it a lot of work. His fine motor skills are very poor, and as a result he's slow at his writing. That brings about a lot of home work as he doesn't finish everything in class. The over load of homework becomes a bit of a power struggle at home - his parents are not the best match for teaching him, which is a short coming of his parents I think. And the total result is STRESS for everyone, which only compounds the initial challenges - an undesirable cycle as you can probably guess. He needs a lot of support right now, and we are trying to meet his needs.

We also were hit yesterday with a rumor (from a reliable source) that the State of Montana Office of Public Defender may change how they handle their conflict cases, resulting in a significant decrease in the availability of contract work for us and many of our friends. Basically that's like getting advance notice that layoffs are coming at your work. It has caused us to take a hard look at where we are in the business and our budget. We naively thought we had pretty recession proof work because in hard times more people need public defenders. Now, we are needing to shift gears and quickly.

Side note here: did you know that "naive" means: "marked by unaffected simplicity. . . deficient in worldly wisdom or informed judgment." I always thought it just meant uninformed, and it really is a lot more complicated than that. Go figure!

Also in news of cutting back our income, the local scrapbook store where I work has to move out of their current space by April 1, and doesn't have a place to go at this time. That means many of my April and May classes may be cancelled. It is also just sad because, while the hope is to find a new place, the reality that such a cool store may ceased to exist has to be considered.

So, are you ready for some good news? Me too. Unfortunately, right now I don't have some big chunk of exciting good news to share from our daily activities.

What I do have is a familiar Bible verse that offers me comfort:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly
we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being
renewed day by day. For our light and momentary
troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that
far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not
on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is
seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4: 16-18

It really is true that we are facing temporary troubles which, while challenging, really do not control the truly valuable things in our lives.

Lots of time on my knees is in my future, along with sprucing up our home on the chance that we will need to sell it as we navigate these troubled financial waters. While selling is not my first choice, it may be the wisest choice. And if it is on the market and doesn't sell, which given the current general economic status is a possibility, I will trust that God is giving us the message that He has something else in mind for us.

Blessings to all of you, and I will try to update daily again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you... hang in there. God is good!
the photos you posted are lovely!

Kristii said...

Thinking of you today!!! The same is happening at my dh's work. His hours have been cut twice and they have laid off many workers. My job is never a sure thing. I like your verse today, it gives me hope!! God is in control and He is Good All the Time!!

Don't be too hard on yourselves regarding homework. I face this every day in school with the boys especially. It is the way God made them. If you look all the way through the bible, you will see one power struggle after another. In fact, in daily life, don't we struggle relinquishing our will to God? I will be keeping you in prayer about this today!!

I love the photo of you and J by the waterside. Your hair is gorgeous my friend!! Wishing you a wonderful day surrounded by His presence.

Jennifer Davis said...

Thinking about you and sending prayers up as well...I am sorry to hear of your struggles but know that there is a reason and that you have the support of many. If you don't mind my asking, what grade is your son in? I'm just thinking if there are some excercises that he could do that would help with the fine motor skills issue, dd is a bit of a late bloomer here with that too and we have her doing some special things so that she can hopefully "catch up." Sigh, parenting is tough...

liz mataraza said...

wow, you are the strongest person i know! i'm sorry to hear about J's struggles; sounds very frustrating for all of you, as does the uncertainty of your business.

my Mom always told me that God gives us nothing we can't handle. and i do believe, my dear, that you can handle all of this with Him on your side.

have a great day. as always, your pictures are gorgeous.

Sharie said...

Thank you for sharing that Bible verse, it is so perfect for this time. Your photography is wonderful. I just said a prayer for you and your family - homework is really tough. One thing that works for us is to send our son outside to play as soon as he gets home. 20 minutes of outside helps him to focus better on the homework and we haven't had that power struggle as much.

Houston said...

My prayers are with you and your family. It sounds to me like you have your eyes and heart fixed on the right thing. God Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

wow, susan beth. that's a lot of stuff to have bouncing around your brain! on the upside, you have a beautiful family, you live in a truly gorgeous piece of earth, and you have love. all the other stuff is just details, and it will all work out according to a plan bigger than your own. hang in there, and find little blessings wherever you can!

vtpuggirl said...

Oh Susan Beth, my heart is breaking for you guys. Can this be real? And yet I know it is. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, and that I am concerned for you. I love the picture you choose for this post, it was really perfect.

Stacey Michaud said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. You have such a positive spirit and belief to help you through it!