Monday, July 21, 2008

Fishing

We went on our great little fishing trip last night, and I took some great shots. Lovely shots of wild flowers and my handsome husband, the meadow we were in. Oh, they were exciting to me. Then, I realize I did not have a memory card in the camera, and no camera bag with me.

STUPID ME!

Oh well, going to do the best I can to tell the story with make-do illustrations.

We went back to the meadow that Andy and J hiked in a few weeks ago when we camped. It is along Swan Creek, and very beautiful. Here is a picture from back in June:

Because when we were in that area in June Andy saw bear scat we took these:

Bear Spray for those of you who don't live in grizzly country. He even bought me my own - now isn't that romantic! So, I learned how to use it in the car on the way there - well, actually, I learned what I'm supposed to do, but I didn't do it because that would have ruined our trip. Fortunately, there was no need, although when we were in the meadow we heard a loud slap on the water, and before either of us thought it through we were both thinking "BEAR!" But then we came to our senses and realized "BEAVER!" Whew! Didn't want to be using that spray.

This morning I got to thinking about the bear spray. I know you spray in the bear's face (meaning you wait until it is just 6-8 feet in front of you, which is a long time to wait, if you think about it). So, once you spray, what do you do? Run? Stay put because the bear will run? I asked Andy, and he said the bear will be incapacitated, not able to smell or see you, and probably will make every attempt to leave the area, but that we should leave too. This seems a little nebulous to me, but okay. Hopefully I'll never have to figure it out for sure, but I'll be prepared.

The fishing report is that we only took one rod because right now we only have one 4 weight. Andy let me do all the fishing, and I caught two - a little tiny brookie and a very nice sized brookie. We weren't there long because, true to form, we got a late start and the light was fading. Generally, a successful trip. Only fly in the ointment - I hiked in my wading felts, and they gave me blisters. I need to remember to carry them to the water and then put them on. Otherwise, a very good trip.

Hope you have a good Monday.

And, yes, I am missing J. But that is the way it is supposed to be, right?

13 comments:

Kristii said...

I hope Jansse has a great time at camp!!! Enjoy the freedom mom!!! too hilarious about the beaver! I hope we never cross paths with a grizzly either. Makes me nervous and I don't know if I could work that canister if I am petrified!

denine zielinski said...

Oh my...not sure if I'd want to let a bear get that close to me!

Anonymous said...

glad no bear spray was necessary :)

Staci Taylor said...

Oh bummer about the memory card - I have done that before! Glad you had a good trip, though!

Linda Beeson said...

It can be funny now, but I'm sure it wasn't he moment you realized you were taking NOTHING! Sorry cause it sure sounded beautiful!

Stacey Michaud said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Not sure I would actually go anywhere where you need Bear Spray!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time.

Not so sure I'd want to wait that long with the bear spray. LOL

Jenn said...

I just had to buy a can of bear spray, too...except I had to send it with my 15yo for Boy Scout camp in YNP!! The thought of my child potentially needing it, freaked me out...but all is well, he is home safe and sound and had a great time!
Hope you sent a couple disposable cameras with J....I love doing that with my boys, the pictures i get back are hilarious! Have fun tonight...wish I could be there!

vtpuggirl said...

I have done that with the memory card, up in the mountains 1 hour from home. Arggh, it's awful when you realize it, but you won't forget again for a long time, that's the good news!

Sweet Peripety said...

Quite the adventurers, you are! Oy, I never hope to see a bear so up close and personal. Yikes! I do remember what to do when you see a bear, but probably wouldn't remember at the time!

Val said...

I think if I saw a bear I would faint! I'm a city girl!! YOu must be so brave!

AnnaMarie said...

TOTAL bummer about the memory card - BTDT! :( But loved reading your story anyways ;) and here's to hoping you never have to use that bug spray! :-P

liz mataraza said...

i guess i'm not a real 'outdoorsy' person. i really didn't understand most of that post...however, i do know that i would never want to be that close to a bear. glad you didn't have to spray any!