Sunday, July 13, 2008

Inspired by Torm

Well, this first photo isn't. It's just documenting my boy and his funny summer attire. I actually think it is cute to wear cowboy boots with Hawaiian print swim trunks and a neon orange hunting cap, but his father was really bothered by this outfit. Taking photos in the loft of the barn is so tricky for me - primarily because it invariably involves a flash, and I'm a terrible flash photographer. I just don't understand it, so please excuse the crummy quality of photo here.
Now, the rest of these photos were inspired by Torm, who mentioned on her blog that she loves to photograph cemeteries. That got me thinking that there is an old cemetery down the road from us, and I mean old. I had never been there, but I see it whenever I go into town on the highway. I heard there are community folks sponsoring an effort to fix it up and maintain it. So, I went in the evening to check it out. It wasn't what I expected, but it was interesting and I'm glad I went.
The entrance is made of horse shoes by a local artist named Wortman - the creek that runs through our property is actually named after his family. He does a lot of western metal work, so this was kind of cool to see.

Some of the grave stones were really very old, and super cool. Made me wish to do some rubbings. Maybe I'll take Jansse back for that another time.

This guy was one of the last stage drivers of the old west, which I thought was cool to have around.
All in all, a successful trip. I sort of expected something a bit more...well, I'm not sure what. This grave yard is pretty stark. What is interesting is that it is starting to be used again, so our neighbor and his wife, who died a couple of years ago are buried there, right along with the graves that are marked from the late 1800's. In the restoration, some of the head stones have been re-done, which is kind of sad to me because they new stones are not in the style of the old ones. I know from talk around town when this project started that some stones had just disappeared all-together, so it wasn't a matter of just cleaning and straightening the old ones. But I think I really like the old ones best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing what that Torm can make a girl do! ;) Looks like a fun field trip!

liz mataraza said...

those are awesome pics...and the old stones are way cooler than the new ones.