Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Anatomy of The Sonoma Saga

I feel like it has been quite a saga to get two pages done with the wonderful Sonoma papers from Scenic Route. Maybe it was because I so looked forward to working with this paper that when I got it I froze a bit. Or maybe it was the pressure to get something done quickly. Or maybe it was that it is for classes that put the pressure on. I don't know, but at long last here are two pages done with this line. I am so relieved to finally have these done and off my "TO DO LIST" but they are not pages that I would put at the top of my favorites list. Still, it is beautiful paper.

Let me tell you a little about them. The first one, Local Sites was the hardest.

First I had the main photo in black and white, and the lower right hand flower was cut in an attempt to make it look like it was layered under the patterned paper. And the layout was okay, but seemed off in some way. I think I mentioned that my sister-in-law Stacy helped me with making some corrections. I liked the concept of using the mask technique with the sprays, but it didn't quite turn out as I thought it would. It's okay, but not the highlight I thought it would be.

My thought to begin with was to have a class using the same papers but giving a light and airy look (above) and then a rich and darker look (below).

I don't really know why the black and white photo worked on this, but not on the other one, but that's the way it worked out. Hummm. Looking at the picture here, I have to say, this one looks better in person. The journaling reads: She lets you know when you're in trouble. there will be no doubt in your mind. It is my niece, and she is just so expressive!

I added some sewing on at the end, because I really thought it needed it. I don't mind simple pages, but without the sewing it looked incomplete to me. Since we don't do sewing machines in class, the students will have to do this at the end at their own homes - some students do not like to sew at all, so this is the best plan.

One thing about making pages for class, being limited by the confines of what is available and practical for a class is sometimes frustrating. I've got some paper left, so I'm looking forward to an opportunity to just do my own thing without worrying about whether it can be done in a class setting, or in the confines of the two and a half hours of a class.

A couple of blog follow-up things:

I did pass my exam from way back in August. That was a relief. The feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw the email notification that the results were ready was kind of gross, but since I passed, I think I'm okay with that.

J is so bruised from his fall off the ladder. It's a good thing the school knows us, or they might be turning us into authorities. His facial bruise is actually pretty subtle, but his torso and legs are somewhat shocking.

I did finish everything on the list yesterday except the office filing. Today I have confidence I'll get through all the necessary things, although I have to throw in a visit to the vet because Leo's leg is infected again - not good, and may present some dilemmas on how to treat, because it means the hardware from the TPLO has to come out. I don't know if that means replacing it or just taking it out and allowing him to just be a limping dog. Or, if it means (I'm so afraid) that he is going to suffer and we need to put him down. So, this is going to be a big deal visit!

So, off to get this day going. Have a great and wonderful Wednesday!

8 comments:

vtpuggirl said...

Congrats on passing your test! Love your projects for class!

Marie Starr said...

Congratulations, on passing your test!

Love your layouts here, too!

mommy2alex said...

The colors in those layouts are gorgeous!!
YAY on passing your test!

denine zielinski said...

Love that SR line...you worked it wonderfully!

Anne aka Anniescraps said...

Congrats on passing the exam... huge relief I know. The layouts are lovely. It is hard to pare things down for a class, but you did it well. I hope the young guy feels better than he looks, ladder falls are a nasty thing. You pooch is in my thoughts and prayers. It is scarey when you don't know. Hope all turned out well.

liz mataraza said...

i seriously need to visit your blog everyday b/c i miss a ton when i don't!

the colors on these layouts are gorgeous! congrats on your exam (i remember thinking your results were going to take forever to arrive and here that time has already passed!)

Rita said...

Congrats on passing your test! Wonderful LOs...I love the SR Sonomoa! I love how you were able to show the versatility in the line.

Fuzzy said...

I hope Leo is okay. The layouts are beautiful!