Saturday, September 13, 2008

Mourning!

Aleida Franklin was a woman who commented on this blog - always with encouragement. She was a scrapbooker who's work is so very impressive.
She was an encourager on the Studio Calico board and other scrapbooking related web sites.
She was a wife to Brandon, who has said yesterday in a comment post on Aleida's blog "I'm sad. Very sad. I'm scared. Very scared." I pray for him in his sadness and his fear! I can't even imagine. . . !
She was a mother to two children - Joshua (7) and Isabella (4). She was a friend.
She was a valued employee.
She was funny.
She was creative.
She was killed yesterday when a 22 year old girl named Amy ran a red light.
I am praying for Aleida's family. Their loss is profound!
I am praying for Amy. Her life is in ruins right now as she sits in jail on negligent homicide charges.
I am embarrassed at how shocked I am by how this situation has touched me. I am not embarrassed that it touched me. I am embarrassed that I didn't realize how much something like this would touch me. I now realize how much I would be touched by the lost of so very many others I have "met" and enjoyed on line.
I never met Aleida in person. I only started reading her posts on her blog and on Studio Calico back in June. And yet when I first saw the news that she had been killed I froze. I got goosebumps. I teared up. I am embarrassed to say, for the first time I began to realize that I had minimized the importance of my cyber contacts and friend. I now realize that real emotional relationships do develop this way and I need to value them more.
So, to those of you who comment on my blog from time to time, thank you for the encouragement. It really does make my day every time I see that someone took the time to write a little something to me.
To those of you who cruise by but don't leave a comment, thank you for looking. When I see the hits counter rise it feels like I am being successful at something.
To those of you who write blogs that I visit (sometimes leaving a comment, sometimes enjoying and the quickly running off to something else) thank you for sharing your lives with me.
All of you are important!
For Aleida, who emailed me, and left comments, and entertained me with her wit on the boards, thank you! You have taught me more than you ever imagined. I pray that you are in the company of Jesus right now, enjoying a peace and a joy that is beyond my comprehension.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words are so profound Susan! I didn't personally know Aleida, but left many kind comments on my projects. I will kep her family in my prayers.

vtpuggirl said...

Gosh, I hope so too, that she is enjoying peace and joy. Her poor children, husband, family. I'm just so torn up about this. And oddly so, since I just knew her from emails, blogs and posts at SC.

Alison said...

I clicked on your blog from an SC post, curious to see what people posted about Aleida. What you wrote echoes exactly how I feel (but couldn't say myself). I had just a little contact with her, but really felt her spirit through her posts online. I can't stop thinking about her and her family all day. You said it perfectly.

Rita said...

Beautiful post Susan Beth. Her children and family have been on my mind. I am also amazed by how much of an impact she has had on me, given I only knew her from her blog and at SC.

Anonymous said...

Stumbled onto your blog through a post somewhere else... I too am saddened for Aleida's family. Such a tragedy.

As I was reading through your past posts I saw some photos of your lovely family and thought to myself "Could that really be Susan Bowden, from San Jose and Holy Cross?" A blast from the past! When I saw a photo of your father I was certain That "Grandpa Gary" was indeed the same man who I grew up singing with at Good Tidings!

Not sure if you'll remember me, Karin Torgerson, from way back when. Now Karin Daverson, living in Chico CA, mom to 8, teacher of 1st graders, wife to a wonderful person and flooded with memories today. Thanks for sharing your lovely family and your wonderful creations with all of us.

Feel free to check out my partner's blog- I've yet to dive into the blogging world on my own!

fourplusfourequalsten@blogspot.com

I'll come back and visit again!

Lisa said...

wow! I am so sad to hear about this! my heart goes out to her dh and her gorgeous children!! Your tribute to her is amazing, she is smiling down upon you I'm sure!

Andrea Amu said...

I have been without internet for most of the weekend and I just saw your post and was curious to see what was going on with Aleida, and I am in total shock right now! I can not believe that this tragedy has happened! We were just emailing one another a week ago! Her poor family... ackkk! I will be praying hard for their comfort and peace at such an immense loss. Wow. This sure puts things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

I love your comments about Aleida and cyber contacts - they really hit home with me. I only "knew" her thru the SC MB and enjoyed her wit and kindness there. She will truly be missed...

liz mataraza said...

this is beautiful Susan.