Sunday, September 28, 2008

Trauma! and recovery

The dogs are still escaping! We are still trying like crazy to prevent that. So, on Friday I left Bo in the house when I went to get J from school - he can't escape from the house, and Leo won't leave the yard without him. I was so sure this was such a great plan.
Until I got home. That blankity blank dog literally ate my SLR digital camera! It had been set on the table, in a "safe place," and I never thought of him eating it. The rubber body cover on the right side, where I hold the camera - completely torn off. The flash, mangled! The door where the SD card goes - very damaged! I was devastated. I don't have another camera - not even a cheap point and shoot. And I certainly don't have the money to replace a camera at this point.
After praying that I wouldn't make an idol of this camera and that I would remember it was just a thing, not a life, I sat down and figured out what was salvageable. Fortunately, everything but the flash. And, the place where an external flash can be attached is safe and sound. It is an ugly camera now, and the door for the card has to be handled with care, but it still takes photos. I even sewed the strap back together.
This, as some of you can imagine, was a very traumatic event for me. Really, knocked the wind out of me emotionally, when I was already pretty unsteady. But, recovery was made. I won't be doing any indoor photos for awhile, but I don't do much of that anyway. I figure I need to teach some classes and work at the LSS and use the money to buy the external flash before Christmas, because that is the next time I'd be likely to really want to take indoor flash pictures anyway.
Friday night I did a photo shoot with that all chewed up and ugly camera of mine. It was a shoot of of three really super cute kids - friends! Unfortunately, none of the group photos turned out fantastic - hard with a little one. But, got some wonderful individual shots. I think I am so much better at individuals. It's good practice, and I so enjoy it!
Then, the sky looked like this after they left:
Yesterday was spent all day at the Focus on the Family Truth Project launch training. I'm all trained up, have the DVDs and ready to lead a group. Such great material on Christian World View. Amazing how important this stuff is!
The, spent the evening trying to train dogs to stay inside the fence. Not sure I had any success. But I did take my camera with me as I hung out in the neighbor's field for an hour waiting for them to try to come over the fence. Here's a peek.
Today, go to church, clean a little, finish my Bar Exam application, and hopefully, scrapbook. Always "hopefully scrapbook!"
Also, super excited about the Studio Calico October kit, and the Alice add-on. Wish it were going to arrive at my home today, but have to wait a week or ten days! Oh well, it's good for me, right?
Tomorrow I'm teaching (substituting) at J's school, which is a crazy thing because I'm so terrible at teaching children. But there was a need. Then, I go to the LSS and pick up some of the Tinkering Ink Christmas paper and embellies to make pages for a class at the retreat in late October. That is a good reward, don't you think?
Have a good Sunday!

9 comments:

Lisa J. said...

How horrible about your camera!!! Is your dog still alive? I can't imagine what I would do! So sorry!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Your poor camera. At least it still takes good outside pictures. Hope you can replace the flash in time for Christmas.

joanne (spagirl) said...

oh my! i am learning dogs will eat anything. even what's in a safe place... how do they do that? glad your camera is still functioning! those are beautiful photos!

Pearl Maple said...

Beautiful photos, how horrible to find the tool that you need to continue to take great photos like those being slobbered on. Pets, how do they seem to know what is really important and then decide to chew them?

Anonymous said...

very traumatic but an incredible recovery indeed. the pictures are fabulous... especially the one with the *blowy thing* (sorry, just had a brain lapse).

i would be devastated if my camera was eaten. but would totally feel guilty for feeling that way. (:

Rita said...

Oh no Susan Beth! I'm so sorry about your camera! I worry about something happening to mine because we also are not in a place to replace one. I'm glad you were able to salvage it, and I hope you got some scrapping in!

vtpuggirl said...

Oh Susan, god bless you for keeping your cool. I liked the line esp about not making it an idol, so true. What a great example you are to your son, you showed him that people are important, then things. I just have a feeling that you will get a new camera, maybe for christmas or something? I'm glad your camera still works, you need that for those beautiful pics! I keep my camera up high, on top of the armour, next to my wedding rings when they aren't on. :)

Stacey Michaud said...

Oh my goodness! I didn't think a dog would do that. I love your approach to handling this though! And it looks like your camera still works beautifully--your photos are gorgeous!

mommy2alex said...

Oh my goodness, I would have freaked! Well, it may be ugly, but my it still takes beautiful photos!