Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Embarrassing!

This is getting to be quite embarrassing. I am not the kind of person who's life revolves around their dogs and cats. But lately, our dogs dominate. I think if I was the sole owner of them they would have new homes by now. But then I am just mean, and everyone knows it.
Oh yes, aren't they just so cute! How could I be mad at them?
You guessed it, they got out again today. But this time they weren't gone long. I went out looking for them, and I just turned out the driveway and saw them headed for home on the road. I got them loaded in the truck and noticed they were very dirty - a bit stinky, but not terrible. I thought they had rolled in horse poop and had hay on them. After I tried to brush the hay off of Leo I realized it wasn't hay, but quills. The got quilled by a porcupine!
You can see the stubs of them in Bo's face, and no problem guessing where they are on Leo.
My first thought: SERVES YOU RIGHT!
My second thought: THIS IS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE AT THE VET!
My third thought: I'm not taking you to the vet, you can suffer.
See what a meanie I am.
Then Andy arrived home from court, and guess what. We took the stinkers to the vet.
$360 later, and after being sedated and put on antibiotics, they got to come home later in the day. They are lucky I even let them back on the property at all.
Just to prove that my life doesn't revolve around dogs, let me give you a quick run down of the last couple of days.
Monday I was the substitute teacher in J's class. It is a long day being in that class room with those fourteen third graders! It does help me to see how J is doing in comparison to other kids - not bad in some areas, leading the pack in others, and a couple areas where he needs to work on things. I am back in the class room tomorrow. His teacher had a death in her family and is out all week.
Every year we wait for the combine to come and harvest the fields surrounding our house. Wouldn't you know it, that happened while J and I were at school on Monday. But Andy was wise and ran out and captured with the chewed up camera (I'll try not to get started on that!), which was nice. We're having a warmer than usual few days here, but these pictures prove that it is fall!

No more amber waves of grain going on all around us, just a golden stubble that is quickly fading to brown, and will be well into grey before Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, I've got a couple of pages done for a class at Keepsakes by Design's fall retreat. I did them last night and tonight. I don't usually do holiday pages, and really struggle with Christmas ones, but I'm pretty happy with these. Hopefully I'll get them photographed soon and can post them.

10 comments:

Kristii said...

Silly dogs!!! My dogs are naughty too, but you just gotta love em!!
Love the combine pictures! It is definitely fall!! Hope you have a great day Susan Beth!

Jen Martakis said...

Bo is sooooo cute! I love his eyes!! Yep, it's fall here too. I'm waiting for the corn to come down. ;)

AnilĂș Magloire said...

OMG! Gotta ove dogs :)
The vet costs as much as my pediatrician!!!

Amazing pics!

Nancywithajones said...

awwwwwwwww poor puppies maybe THIS TIME they learned not to go running off? (YEAH RIGHT) love watching the combines. We rode down the road a bit here last year and watched them combine cotton. it looked like snow the field was so white. sooo gorgeous I just love this time of year

AnnaMarie said...

Oh gosh I hear you - I have two dogs myself that can drive me crazy too LOL! :-P Love your writing style and the pics too!

Denise said...

I have a feeling you really aren't as mean as you try to make yourself sound. :o) Do you think the run in with the porcupine taught them a lesson? I bet it doesn't. Sorry!

mommy2alex said...

I'd be right there with you thinking it served them right for getting out, but they are so darn cute!
Love the combine pictures, smells like fall (I'm imagining this screen is scratch and sniff!).
Have a great subbing day!

Kelly said...

Your dogs are so cute - I couldn't stay mad at them for long, looking at those faces!!

Chrys said...

poor guys!!!!! Hopefully they learned their lesson!

Rita said...

Aw, poor dogs! But it does serve them right :) Love the combine pictures! DS loves tractors so I will definitely be showing these to him tomorrow! And you are brave..teaching 3rd graders, wow! I taught a 40 min. art lesson once a month at DS's school and that wore me out!