Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Something different!

I've been reading a little. And not just scrapbooking magazines. As we left on our Labor Day Weekend excursion, I grabbed this book:
I cannot tell you how amazing this book is. While my marriage is not in trouble, I do try to keep up on issues that couples face and ways to improve a marriage - always with a Christian perspective of marriage in mind. This book is not new (originally published in 2000), but it offers some amazing perspective. It is not a "Here's your problem and here is the Biblical solution to that problem, so get with it" type of book. This quote will give you an idea of what it is about: View marriage as an entryway into sanctification - as a relationship that will reveal your sinful behaviors and attitudes and give you the opportunity to address them before the Lord. But here's the challenge: Don't give in to temptation to resent your partner as your own weaknesses are revealed. Correspondingly, give them the freedom and acceptance they need in order to face their own weaknesses as well. In this way we can use marriage as a leg up, a piercing spiritual mirror, designed for our sanctification and growth in holiness. So, if you've got the inclination to improve yourself and learn not to point the finger at your spouse as the "bad guy" in all of life situations, this is a great book! I'm only about half way through, but I'm confident I can recommend it just on what I have read so far. The next book I will read is this one:

I saw it at the book store some months ago and thought it looked interesting. Then, over the weekend a friend mentioned that it was good and asked if I read it yet. She also mentioned that it is somewhat controversial in Christian circles. Okay, now my interest in piqued even more. So, we talked about it, the controversy, and I decided I would see if it was at the library. But yesterday I saw it at Costco, and couldn't resist. So, it is waiting for me to finish Sacred Marriage and then I will immerse myself in it. The big problem with fiction for me is that it gets in the way of the rest of life - I have a hard time being responsible with my time use and curl up and read when I should be cooking or cleaning or paying bills, or some other such non-sense.

So, that is what I have to say today. A little different, but what the heck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just bought *the shack* as well. we're doing a women's lock-in book discussion the first of october. i can't wait to start it!

maybe we could do a little book club over email.


i haven't read *sacred marriage* although it looks like another good one for a book discussion.

jen

Anonymous said...

I'm adding these to my
"need to read" list!
THanks.

Anonymous said...

I read your blog all of the time and so enjoy the pictures around your home...What a beautiful and peaceful place! I thought I should leave a comment instead of just reading about your life...

I read "The Shack" with a group of friends this summer and discussed it.... I liked it but there were many different reactions in our group... I will be interested to here what you think.. Have a great day! Erika ( I might actually get a little scrap time today :-))

denine zielinski said...

I love reading and wish I had more time to do it. These days, it seems I only have a chance to read an 8th grade civics textbook. Enjoy your reads!

Lisa Dorsey said...

oooh I will have to read the marriage one. I read The Shack this summer. I really enjoyed it, although I have heard many different opinions about it also. As long as you keep in mind that it is a fiction book, I do not see a problem with it. It gives you A LOT to think about. Definitely recommend it.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...thanks for the recommendation; I will definitely have to check the marriage one out.