Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Conclusion: Fluke!

That is my term. The doctor just said there is no sign of any damage to anything and no follow up to be doing at this time. Last night was an extreme version of some tingling/pin prick sensations that Andy has felt for years - at least the initial pain sensation he had last night. The doctor and Andy have talked about these before and concluded it is a benign result of some of the unusual formations in his heart possibly related to the electrical functioning of the heart and that little hair like structure I referred to in my earlier post. And, all indications are things are functioning normal right now. This conclusion is not as satisfactory as it should be. By that I mean it sure seemed like a big deal while it was happening, so to have no significant follow up seems strange. But, I am so grateful that there was no damage to his heart, no damage to any other part of him, and currently no sign that there was ever a problem. So, it should be the most satisfactory conclusion possible, right? I think it is just going to take a bit of time to feel less . . . well, I guess less concerned. Andy and I have talked about it a bit, and as we continue to process what has happened and the information we have we may do some out of town follow up just to be extra sure. But for today, crisis is over, and we are thankful that God has protected us through this event. As Andy said, a mysterious non-event is so much better than a heart attack of any sort! There are a lot of electrical issues in hearts. And, yes, there is a difference between the plumbing kind of cardiologist and the electrician kind of cardiologist. Here in town we only have the plumbing kind - they are the most common. When we saw the electrician in the past she gave us a lot of information and was very good at educating us about so many things. But she felt that with the uniqueness of Andy's heart it was impossible to know what the future implications were of the electrical abnormalities going on in there - hey, she was honest. We may decide to go back and chat with her again. I suspect that the issue that happened last night is more her area of expertise than the plumber here in town. Thank you to all of you who expressed your concern and your willingness to pray for us. We are doing very well, all things considered. Except for the conclusion that he wants to wait a week or so before running again, Andy is comfortable doing all his normal activities. I'm working on not getting too over protective of him and balancing that with not minimizing what happened to the point of being unsupportive. J has asked a lot of questions and expressed his fears well, and currently appears very comfortable and I think feels pretty safe right now. There was a cute conversation this morning that went something like this:
"Papa, what did you feel?"
Andy started to describe the stinging/shock feeling and J said:
"No Papa! I meant were you afraid to die."
"Yes, I was afraid a little, but I trust Jesus to do what is best and provide for you and Momma if I'm gone."
"But Papa, I don't want Jesus to kill you."
I chuckled at that. J is going to be just fine if he continues to express himself so clearly! Blessings everyone! We are feeling very blessed right now!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Wow...I hate to say this ...but I know exactly what you are feeling. When Len had his heart-attack scare it was ...well frankly scary!
Prayers for you.

liz mataraza said...

that is scary! i'm so glad that you heard good news, but that you will continue to see what the problem is. prayers to you.