Sunday, December 14, 2008

Negative 20 Degrees

Yep, that is where we are as I type.
The high today did not make it out of negative numbers. Didn't even make it out of negative double digets here at the house (although in town after church we did see as high as -8*F). Would you all like to come join us in the cold? We'd love to have you.
It was the kind of day where it would be tempting to just stay inside all day, but instead we went out to church, stopped by Target for a couple of items on the way home, and then went out again this evening for the Children's Christmas program at church.
Having gown up in California, it still surprises me when normal activities continue during these extreme cold periods normal activities happen. But they do.
To prove some of my hardiness, I took my camera out in the cold and shot a few photos - hoping to catch for you a glimps into what it is like when it is cold.

The horses on the property next to us seem to slow down a bit in this weather, and wear a blanket of snow to keep warm.

And our creek is pretty close to frozen over, but not backing up and flooding like last year. Must have been a different pattern to the freezing this time. Here is today:

This week is going to be a good one. the last week of school before Christmas Break. I've got a rare but enjoyable girls night out. I work at the scrapbook store on Saturday and Sunday. We're getting together with friends for a holiday gathering next weekend. And I'm going to finish shopping and wrapping and baking and mailing so that the week of the 22nd I can play with J as he is off of school. So, this needs to be a productive week. Just has to be. I need to make a list of what needs to be done. Lets see:

* Make fudge and mail it to Richie and my side of the family

* Finish J's quilt.

* Make short bread and fudge and get that to Nettie so she can take it to the California portion of the family - probably better include some of it in the packages to my side of the family too.

* Make three Christmas gifts for people who read this blog, so no details on that.

* Mail the year end paper work for the State Bar for the office.

* Grocery shop - including buying a roast to make on Christmas.

* Clean my scrapbooking space (now there is a challenge).

* Wash everyones sheets and blankets and other bedding.

* Catch up on laundry.

* Iron a table cloth for Christmas Day

* Get some exercise daily.

* Finish addressing Christmas cards - and then get them in the mail!

* Edit two remaining photo shoots from November (Oh, way behind on that!)

* Pick up the remaining stocking stuffers for J (got all the ideas ready, just need to pick them up, probably tomorrow!)

* Mail CD to Nettie - like tomorrow of bust!

* Call a friend who I forgot to return her call last week - shame on me!

* Bank deposit (very important)

* Spend the money to be deposited on Bar Review materials (also very important, but sort of depressing).

* Try and squeeze in some crafting

* Take J to the dentist (better figure out what day that is, because right now I don't remember! Ugh!)

Well, I'm stopping here, because there are all the normal dishes, cooking, cleaning, and "momma do's" that happen every week, and I will feel overwhelmed if I make this list any longer.

Have a great start to the week, and hopefully I'll be back soon.

10 comments:

Heather said...

Your photography is beautiful as always! That is a very ambitious to-do list...have fun!

Jennifer Davis said...

Oooooh, brrrr! It's cold here too today, loving the photos and I hope that you warm up at least a smidge! =)

I would love it if you played with the photo too, I don't really know all that much about actions and it would be neat to see what you do with it! Thanks for offering! =)

Have a great day!

Jen

Pamela said...

Awesome pictures!!! Where are you at...we are at -6 right now and I thought that was bad!

Aimee Ann said...

beautiful shots my dear... poor horses, they look chilled. they need wool blankets :)

Lisa Dorsey said...

WOW that IS cold! I was born in the midwest where it gets cold (not that cold) and moved to TX. It had always surprised me the way everything shut down when it started to snow even just a bit. As usual, love your photos.

Lauren said...

Bbrrrr... it was -17f this morning and it's currently 0. You definitely win! And you also definitely captured the feeling... love the barn shots and the horses with their "blankets" :)

Rita said...

Brr...it's cold here too! It is supposed to stay below freezing all week. We got some snow, but it froze overnight so we are having a snow day. Many of the surrounding cities shut down with this type of weather. I have cleaning my scraproom and baking on my list of things to do this week too! I can only dream of being as productive as you!

Christie Wildes said...

Okay, being a Florida girl - all I can say is BRRRRRR!!!

Beautiful photos and hope that you get everything accomplished this week.

XO

vtpuggirl said...

I'm overwhelmed looking at your list, and then I realize it looks a lot like mine (minus the baking and bar exam stuff). Beautiful photos, I am impressed you ventured out. I don't think I could push the button in -20 degrees!

Anonymous said...

Wow - THAT is cold!! And I'm freezing over here with just 30 degrees tonight! Such gorgeous photos. :)