Sunday, December 7, 2008

Handmade Christmas and Nutcrakers

Last night we decorated our Christmas tree. It is our second year with this tree, and I'm getting used to an artificial tree. I always thought I would hate that, but not having to go pay for one this year is a super blessing. Plus, it made it so much easier to play it by ear as to when we would have time to do the tree.
As we were decorating I thought I would be nice to share with you some of the home made ornaments that are on it. Nothing fancy, mind you, but all special for one reason or another.
The most impressive are the ones painted by my Aunt Susan (yes, I'm partly named after her). These are years old - she's moved on to mostly water colors now!
My sister Michelle does a lot of fabric work (she's a quilter), and then some cross-stitch.
My mom made these - she was pretty eclectic in what materials she used, but notice the angel theme! I am so glad to have these contributions from her so that she can be part of our Christmas even though she's resting with Jesus now.
And these are some J and I made - he did the little egg crate bell, I made the box years ago when I was less than 7 yrs. old. The bird house I did a few years ago - so simple it's embarrassing! And the star we both did last year. So, that's it for home made ornaments right now. If we have time in the week before Christmas, when J is out of school, I've got some ideas for making more. Very fun.
I also wanted to share with you that J has taken an interest in Nutcrackers. They had some on sale at JoAnn, and he loves them. So he took the $10 dollars he's saved, bought me a birthday present (it's this coming week) and then got these babies for himself.
Don't worry, I had already coached him on what I wanted as a b-day gift, and it was 40% off, so it came to $2.99. So, I'll get what I wanted and he still has his nutcrackers!
I'm home alone as the boys are at church (my cold kept me home today as the Dayquil is just not cutting it today!), so I'm off to wrap a couple things to go under the tree and take a nap!

4 comments:

DebW said...

Great ornaments Susan! Nothing beats homespun goodness! I have some of those egg crate bells on my tree every year too!

Jennifer Davis said...

Super fun post, love all the ornaments...handmade are the best!

Stacey Michaud said...

Love the handmade ornaments. How wonderful to have meaningful decorations on your tree!

Anonymous said...

Love those ornaments Susan. I love anything and everything handmade. You know that a lot heart went into it. TFS