Sunday, August 24, 2008

Camping 101

We need a refresher course in camping, I think. Lesson Number One: With our new car we had to learn how to pack to fit everything in. It was a challenge, and I think we (I as the main packer) learned a few things. Like we need to take less stuff, especially if we ever expect to take anyone with us, which we may be doing when we go to Grand Teton in late September.
Lesson Number Two: You little brother will indeed laugh at you if your husband was the last one to pack the tent, didn't put the poles in with the rest, and you just grabbed the tent bag assuming it was all together. So, this was really two lessons in one: Don't let your husband pack the tent; and always check to make sure all the parts are there, because if you didn't do it yourself, you never know.
Lesson Number Three: Sleeping outside, without a tent is not as bad as you might thing, although the anxiety over it may ruin your evening. And, yes, it is a bit colder.
Lesson Number Four: I think we've mastered this one, but just as a refresher: it is always nice to be by a creek.
Lesson Number Five: Little girls are very cute when they camp, and some of them stay cleaner than little boys.
Lesson Number Six: Night crawlers can be used for general entertainment as well as fishing.
Lesson Number Seven:(And this is one of the most important) Know the attractions in the area. We didn't realize we were going camping by a natural hot springs, but when we found out, we wisely decided to go early in the morning, before breakfast. I know the natural instinct is to go in the evening, just before bed, but if you don't have a tent, the idea of 34 inches of hair being wet as you crawl into your sleeping bag is just not a good one - and yes, I have about 34 inches of hair, as does my sister-in-law, who was with us, so this is important! However, if you bundle up and hike to it in the morning nobody else will be there, and by the time you are all wet and ready to hike back for breakfast the sun will be further in the sky and warming you along the way. Worked out great!

Lesson Number Eight: Going into third grade boys who have already studied Montana history, have got the Lewis and Clark pose down pat - we saw a lot of this!

Lesson Number Nine: Going into Kindergarten girls are photogenic most of the time, so keep the camera close at hand!

Lesson Number Ten: The creek is not as warm as the hot springs. In fact, if you keep a body part in there longer than oh, say ten seconds, you will not be able to feel it anymore.

Lesson Number Eleven: Even in late summer there are beautiful blooms to be found.

Lesson Number Twelve: (And this is the last one) Stop along the road as you are heading home. You might see some wonderful things!

That is Camping 101 for you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love coming to your blog and seeing all of your beautiful photos. The camping trip looked like a lot of fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it, despite the lack of tent poles :)

Sharie said...

Your camping trip looks like it was such fun! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Fuzzy said...

It looks like you all had a great time! Hot springs sound great!

Sweet Peripety said...

great lessons. i love those photos...ahh the nature!!! SOOOO jealous where you live. That was my dream, since I was little, to live where you live! Hope you are rested from your camping.

liz mataraza said...

as always your photos amaze me. your lessons are good ones; but are certainly wasted on me and mine...

we are camping this weekend with my in-laws...they bring everything, including the kitchen sink! quite sad...

MandeeM said...

Wow I think I need to go camping with you, but I will bring the tent... sleeping out with the creepy crawlies I think would put me in the back of the car! I love the lessons and the photos area amazing... making me think that you could come camp with me at Tahoe and I would come up with you in exchange!