Monday, August 25, 2008

My "Hackness" is showing!

I'm struggling with photography! I think my standards have gone up, but the quality of my picture taking has not.
And, I'm struggling with PSE because really I know nothing about it, I've always just played around in it, so I don't even know if I can fix some of the things I want to fix. And I'm afraid there are things wrong with my photos that I don't even know about.
And, my printer is not calibrated to my screen, and I can't really see myself affording a calibration system any time soon, so I will continue to be frustrated by this, although the differences between the two are often small, sometimes they are disappointingly significant.
I'm loving it when I get pictures like these:
I note, these are all individual photos, or small groups. And the last one is not perfectly focused.
As noted earlier on this blog, I did a photo shoot (for free, so I could practice) with a family of six last week. Really really struggling with getting good sharp focus in those pictures!

And with getting pictures where everyone has a nice expression, no wind-blown hair in their face, no bra straps showing, no hands in an awkward place. Ugh!

I think my biggest frustration about all of this is that because I am a self-taught hack, never having taken a class in photography or in PSE use, I don't know how to fix the things that are photographer error. I know there is nothing I can do about the whole blinking, eyes looking off in a different direction than every one else errors. Those just come from taking pictures of humans. But the need for sharper focus, the inability to lighten the shadows without destroying all the natural light color, all of that kind of stuff I need to learn how to fix, get right the first time, whatever.

That, dear blog readers, is this day's frustration. And right now it seems like a really big deal to me. Must be hormones!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh....all of your pictures are amazing!!!! I'm impressed that you're a self-taught photographer and that your photos aren't edited!! Don't be frustrated. I think your pictures are perfect just the way they are. That's why I stalk you blog every day :) I own PSE too, and can't figure it out to save my life!!!

Jenn said...

I think you are doing just fine....as for the photography aspect...are you shooting in an automatic mode? Or are YOU picking shutter/aperture etc?
The photos of the family of 6 look awesome...maybe just some composition things but overall they are great!!! A big tip that has always helped me when it comes to HANDS....try to never have a WHOLE hand of one person touching someone else...meaning, don't have it on a shoulder or a side where you can see most of it. An adult hand is is big as another HEAD. Also try not to shoot people straight on. Our EYES can see things in 3 dimensional, however not when it is on paper, there for being VERY flat. If you have any questions feel free to ask..I will try and help anyway i can.
As for PSE, (which I actually do not even have!) try this FREE photo editing program... PICASA. It's a great program and it is VERY helpful, and user friendly! Just my thoughts....

ps my word verification is OKGOJIIG
It's too early in the morning for that !!!! :)

liz mataraza said...

sorry for your frustration, but i think they look awesome! and what a beautiful bunch of people!

Linda Beeson said...

What a super fun photo shoot! LOVE all the different angles.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your photos! I think you are an amazing photographer and love looking at all the photos you post!

vtpuggirl said...

I'm self taught too. I've bought lots of books, and it helps. I'm using PSE and it's taken years. There is so much, and I've learned it all by trial and error. The Edit/undo button is your friend. Work in a copy so your original doesn't suffer with your experimentation. I think your photos are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I think your photos are GORGEOUS...., the last one with the girls walking down the road is so cute!
Suzie

Rita said...

I'm another one that thinks your photos are beautiful! I struggle with many of the same things you mentioned. I love it when I get great shots, but I have to take a lot of pics to get them! I just try to learn as much as I can from techniques/tips I see online. I would love to take a class, but it will have to wait until the kids are all in school!

denine zielinski said...

Don't beat yourself up about it. I think your photos are gorgeous. You know we are always the most critical of ourselves. Keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else - don't beat yourself up about your photos. You certainly have an eye for composition and that's something that's hard to learn if you don't have it naturally. Keep taking pictures, keep studying photos that inspire you and reading online tutorials regarding post processing tips. Keep up the great work! :)

Denise said...

Your photos are beautiful. Truly.

Kelly said...

I think your photos are fantastic...don't be so hard on yourself ;o)

Kristii said...

Jenn's pointers are awesome because really your photography is just beautiful and once you know what to do with the hands and such you will have even better photos! I know absolutely nothing about photography and what I do with my PSE is just from playing with it, so you are not alone! Don't be so hard on yourself girl!! You are an amazing artist in every respect!!

Jeffrey Sharkey said...

ill second what jenn said, picasa is awesome. it makes simple edits quick and easy, and can make for some great results with minimal effort. :) and its made by google lol

http://picasa.google.com/