Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Rope Swing, A Lake, Swimming and Me!

We had such a wonderful family afternoon/evening! Relaxing time together is amazing! We need more of it!
It took longer than I expected to get there! There was a fire causing a lot of smoke along the way! I was certain we'd wasted a 1.5 hour drive because it would be too smoky to enjoy! But I was so wrong. We turned the corner, went over the ridge, and suddenly it was not as smoky!
We decided to swim across the lake to the rope swing that we had heard so much about. Not a great idea. It was a long way. I mean, probably more than 200 yards. Have I told you that I'm not the strongest swimmer in the world? Oh yeah.
We had a life vest for J, and flippers, to make him a faster, more powerful swimmer. And Andy is a marathon runner, in great shape, and a very powerful swimmer, who grew up swimming in Lake Tahoe. They were prepared.
I however, am an adequate swimmer who does not have the aerobic fitness to swim that far, and who gets really panicky when the water splashes in my face and nose. And there was a stiff breeze making waves. But I looked at my little boy, and just couldn't miss out on going over there with him to see him go on the rope swing - something he was really looking forward to.
So, I put on my best "Momma can do it" face, and charged right into that frigid water. We got about 75 yards out, and I was doing the back stroke to conserve energy and get there. Suddenly, I was swimming in circles because of the waves pushing me off course. Andy smartly announced we needed to turn back because he wasn't comfortable. And believe me, that was more an assessment of his wife's issues, because J was floating on top of the water effortlessly with his life vest and his flippers! It was a struggle getting back to shore, and by the time I could stand up I was dizzy with exhaustion and frightened out of my wits.
Next time we're taking a rubber raft to get across the lake!
So, in the last week I've discovered that I don't do snakes and I don't do long swims on wavy lakes. Okay, a little self discovery is good, don't you think?
We dried off, hopped in the car and drove as close to the other side of the lake as we could, and started hiking. Hiking I can do! Even bush-whacking hiking like this was, with steep drops to the lake. I can do it! Plus, with hiking you can take your camera and get pictures like this:
We all went off the rope swing, although it was much higher than I expected. J needed to go with his dad (we already knew he was afraid of heights), but went on two swings. Andy went all by himself as well, and I went twice. Probably only would have done it once, but Andy missed the pictures, so I had to do a repeat. And really, I only even thought of doing it because I really feel the need to be a momma who participates with her son and isn't always on the side line. Plus, it thrilled Andy that I would do it!
Now, I want you to note that a miracle happened - actually, three. First, I did something that took me back into that lake water so soon after my freak out in the middle of the lake - yes, it really was a freak out. Second, I actually did that rope swing thing. And third, and probably the biggest miracle, I let Andy take a picture of me in a bathing suit. It will be a fourth miracle if I scrapbook picture of me in a bathing suit!
Anyway, we had a great time. Then we hiked back to the car, drove back to the other side of the lake, and had a picnic dinner and went crawdad hunting!
The smoke was starting to clear as we were leaving, so we stopped and took pictures at a ghost town along the way. It was late (after 10 p.m.) by the time we got home, but it was such a good day!

12 comments:

Kelly said...

Awesome pics!!
And good for you!

I am totally with you - I don't do snakes or swimming far on a wavy lake!!

Lauren said...

Wow..What beautiful photos!! The water is sparkling and you guys look like you had a blast!

Kristii said...

Whoo hoo! You go girl!! Fantastic pictures!! What an awesome day!!

Sonya said...

Sounds like you guys had an amazing time! Awesome photos!

Chris Dodaj said...

Looks like an awesome day!
Great pics!!

aimee said...

wow! what wonderful memories your son will have! that is so awesome!

i bet you burned a heck of a lot of calories!

Rita said...

Sounds like a great day! You are such a great example about really participating in and loving life! Love your photos!

Stacey Michaud said...

Your photos are awesome! Some great pages there!

vtpuggirl said...

Good for you, doing things you were afraid of!
What a feeling I bet!

Anonymous said...

what a fun adventure! and good for you, jumping in that lake, you crazy girl! :)

Lily said...

wow, what amazing photos. they just scream out fun

Tara said...

Love all the photos!
The rope swing looked like so much fun but I totally hear ya on the long swim/snake aversion.