Tuesday, August 26, 2008

One week from today

my J will go back to school. While there are certainly good things about this, I will miss him so much! This is his fourth year in school, and I still can't adjust to having an outside force dictate our schedule and our responsibilities! If it weren't for the fact that he wouldn't learn anything from me, I'd consider home schooling. But I know he wouldn't learn anything from me, since I've experienced that as we try to do math refreshers and reading during the summer just to keep his skills up to par.
He is excited to go back and be with his friends. He is excited because his teacher has a pet rat in the classroom - he love all animals. He is excited because yesterday we bought all his back to school supplies (talk about expensive!).
I am fearful because while he is good at math, he is slow at it. Meaning, he gets the answers right, but he does not complete the quizzes in the time allotted. The result is he feels yucky about it, but he still knows his math. We have flash cards. We did flash cards through out the summer. We will continue to do flash cards through the school year. But, as I said before, he is a mosier, and things that are dependent on speed are not things where he excels. We are assured that knowing the math is more important than being fast, but it still hurts that he feels bad about not being fast.
So, we are trying to make the very most possible of this last week before school starts. Yesterday he got to play with his cousin all day. Today we are going back up to Cottonwood Canyon to play in the creek - with three boys from a family at church. I'd like to get him down to have a morning with his grandparents tomorrow or Thursday, as they arrive back in the area tonight, and I think he would love some time with them! And I would love to do a photo shoot with them and him together (not sure that was the proper grammar for expressing that, but oh well!) And on Friday we leave for Flathead Lake for two days with our friends from Church and some ski boats and tons of fun. Then we'll have Monday to regroup and be ready for school.
Ugh! I'm tired already!
I want to thank you all for your encouraging comments yesterday. I really do appreciate them. I picked up some great tips. I have a book on PSE, and am slogging my way through it. I am learning. It is just that sometimes I feel like I want to already know, not be learning. I'm impatient like that, and always have been. But again, thank you for your encouragement!

6 comments:

mommy2alex said...

Hi, I found you through SC and wanted to pop in with a comment instead of just stalking - hehe!
I too have a son that does not want to learn from his mama, no matter how hard I try to teach him. Hope he enjoys his first day - a pet rat, how fun (for hime!!)!

Rita said...

I hope you enjoy your last week of summer! We're busy getting ready for school too...and it certainly is expensive! My DS is not a traditional learner either, so I understand about the school dilemma. I have thought about homeschooling, but I don't think he would learn well from me either. I left a little comment about you on my blog:)

Lisa Dorsey said...

We have the same problems with math facts. Frustrating isn't it? Love those pictures, especially the black and white one of your DS climbing the fence.

Jennifer Davis said...

Loving your photos...and I am the same way as your son is with math! Our dd is just starting pre-k next week so I have awhile until I have to worry about our math skills or lack there of, we'll just have to see!

=)

Enjoy your week!

denine zielinski said...

Enjoy summer's end. Going back can be tough!

Kristii said...

Hope your last few days are completely awesome!! Lovin all your pictures!!