Monday, January 26, 2009

Change in Plans

Might as well get this out of the way first thing.
I AM NO LONGER STUDYING TO TAKE THE BAR IN FEBRUARY.

Is that good or bad? Frankly, I'm not sure - there are advantages and disadvantages no matter what I do. This decision came about out of necessity and practicality. The decision making process was driven by my husband but I'm not blaming him by saying that. He just has the final word on these kind of things, and I respect that. It is not easy to give up on doing this when I've put so much work into it, but I'm trying to look at is as an opportunity to do some other things.

So, what happened? We had hit a bit of a bump in the road/potential ditch in that California would not allow me to practice law in Montana unless I change my status with their Bar Association from inactive to active. But the cost of doing that is not practical at this time, and the deadline for doing it is next Monday. In order to come current on the continuing legal education requirements and the increased dues it would have cost us literally thousands of dollars we just aren't going to have next week or in the next 60 -90 days.

I guess I sort of knew this could be an issue, but didn't really put it all together until yesterday. Then I chewed on it all day, talked with Andy about the possibility of just dropping out of the California Bar so they would have no authority over what I do in Montana, but he was adamantly opposed to that. He would rather delay the whole process a year and have me keep both Bar memberships. There is some logic in that, and there is some value in the California membership, but emotionally I'm frustrated with California for thinking they can reach beyond their boarders and control me. If I wanted to practice in California, I can see needing to submit to their supervision, but why should they care if I practice somewhere else? Really, it is that they want the higher dues of my active status - a money maker for them!

What now?

Umm, I'm going to get our taxes ready, clean my house to the degree I want it to be clean, hopefully do some crafting by the end of the week, resume daily (or most days) walks with my husband, and try to be more organized with my days than I was before I started to study for the bar.

Today I'm adjusting the the idea. And taking care of J, who has the stomach flu - although he's recovering now after a pretty rough night.

I did run into town this morning to pick up school work for J and have a meeting about the school fundraiser dinner. And it is cold today - double digit negative numbers this morning. It showed on the back of the car, which had to be addressed half way to town with the scraper because the wiper just couldn't get it clean.

Now it is after noon, and the temps are still sub-zero, but I think only by a few degrees. But, it is clear and sunny - really quite beautiful.

And, I might take a bit of a nap here on the couch in the sun of the living room.

Regrouping unexpectedly is always a challenge for me. I need to rise to the occasion and do that.

8 comments:

Jenn said...

All I can say is WOW...and being a California girl I resonate your frustration with the way they "do business". For reasons like this, I am happy to be living here in Montana...however with temps in the 70+'s I wish I were living there! :)

denine zielinski said...

My grandmother always told me that everything happens for a reason, and I believe it. Sometimes we don't see the value in a decision until sometime down the road. Change is not easy.

My Ryan has the stomach flu, too. It is so hard to watch kids be sick.

DebW said...

Such a bummer that you have to wait a year! Might be an omen though, ya know....

Fuzzy said...

I'm sorry to hear that you put effort into studying when you won't be taking the bar now. I am sure you will fill your time with more enjoyable and artistic endeavors.

vtpuggirl said...

I know what that is like, I get to pay NC and TN, just for the priviledge and it keeps going up every year. And you can't let it lapse, or you can't work in your current state, and on and on. What a bunch of red tape uh? Sorry you are caught up in the technicalities of it. Seems like it should be more black and white. I'm sorry for the change in plans, the more work you put into something the harder it is to drop that plan and do something else. I'm like that too. Hang in there.

Nancywithajones said...

wow.. Everything happens for a reason girl. It may not make sense to us right now but eventually someday you will look back and say I didn't understand it at the time but Ya know IM glad it worked out that way.

Lisa Dorsey said...

Oh Susan Beth, my heart is breaking for you! I know how hard you have been studying for this. I agree with Denine (she is a smart woman) :) everything does happen for a reason. I know God has big plans for you, sometimes we just have to sit back and see what they are.

Sending hugs.

Jennifer Davis said...

A change of plans, try to take time to adjust to the idea and be kind to yourself and supportive of yourself too...I too am a believer that things that are meant to be have a way of happening regardless. Perhpas in this year of time you will discover some things about yourself or gain perspective that you would have otherwise not have been able to see...

Wishing you nothing but the absolute best!

Jen