Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tagged With a Challenge

I got tagged today by Heather and it sounds like some fun.
The tag challenge is to :
1.Go to your Picture Folder on your computer or wherever you store your pictures.
2.Go to the 6th Folder, then pick the 6th picture in that folder.
3.Post that picture on your blog and the story that goes along with the picture.
4. Tag 6 other people that you know or don’t know to do the same thing and leave a comment on their blog or an e-mail letting them know you chose them.
So here is the photo that I ended up with. The story behind this photo is that it is the daughter of a friend. My friend asked me to take her daughter's photos at our annual trip to Polson/Flathead Lake over Labor Day weekend. Apparently this beautiful young girl is camera shy for her mom, so I tried to sneak a few of her in throughout the weekend. This was when we were having a time of worship and Bible Study lake side on Sunday morning. Thanks Heather! This was a fun challenge!
I'm going to pass along the award and the photo challenge to Liz, Danielle, Jenn, Heather, Denise and Helen. All of you should have some pretty interesting photos to share! I'll be excited to see what you come up with.
This is my POTD, using Denise's prompt of "red". Its my boy, and I love him so.

He's doing so well in so many parts of school, but we are working on improving his penmanship, which really requires increasing his fine motor skills, and increasing his reading speed. He's not behind on the substance of his subjects, but he is struggling to keep up with the class as they go through the lessons. That results in quite a bit of homework to finish what he didn't get done in class. That is discouraging for him, and as he gets into fourth and fifth grade the problem will be compounded.

So, we are on a mission. Lots of reading at home to improve his speed (just reading to practice, not racing). Plus, I've looked up some small motor skill development exercises on line. Right now the poor guy is using a pair of tweezers to move dried split peas from one bowl to another. You try it, and see how fast you can do it!

To keep the big guy motivated, we've developed a point system - for doing the exercises he earns points. When he's earned 2500 points he gets a Wii - I need that many points so I have time to save up for the darn thing! He can earn from 20 to 50 points a day, with some exercises being mandatory and some be elective. So far he's excited about it, but then we're only on day two. The key is going to be me keeping the challenges interesting and varied so that it doesn't become boring.

The reading today is in the book: Drummer Boy's Battle. J is so hooked in it, he doesn't want to stop reading. He read out loud to me for over an hour, and got through 21 pages. He's pretty stoked. I think after that one we'll move on to Indian in the Cupboard, which I am excited about!

Have a great Thursday.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh fun challenge!!! I am off to look! Thanks for the tag!

Fuzzy said...

I think the points idea is a great idea! And if you are going to do a game system I think the wii is the best!! (we have one) They have the best selection of fun and nonviolent games (lots of educational ones too). Also for you, you can download the original Mario games for $5! I know you used to get so serious about Mario. He sure is a handsome boy as he gets close to his birthday.

denine zielinski said...

Very clever reading challenge! I like your posting a picture idea, too....something neat to blog with!

Krista P said...

Another vote for the Wii!

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! Nice photos!

Anonymous said...

That's a really fun challenge! And I think you're on the right track with your son earning points; I hope he keeps motivated and continues to do well! :)

janett said...

I love how you're motivating your son! Very creative.

Mom2Drew said...

Sounds like he's really motivated to get that Wii mom:)

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Fun Challenge. Indian in the cupboard was one of our favorites. BTW when you do get the Wii hes you all will love it,its so much fun.

vtpuggirl said...

Great challenge, I'll see what I can do. I guess I need to stop being lazy (sick) and blog uh?