Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm a little under the weather today, but dealing with it. I hate that half way in between feeling good and being sick. I always want to cancel everything but then I get bored and need something to do. That was today - back and forth between I'm too sick to do something and I'm too well to do nothing.

I did go on a walk with Andy and shot a couple of photos:

We found a new little road in our small town that takes us up to this view of the Gallatin River. It is a road I hope to take J biking on this summer.

Struggling with J and school. Not him understanding his work, but him being focused and organized enough to complete it and get it turned in. It seems just when he's had a couple days of bringing home really great scores he suddenly takes a nose dive and blows it. I know it is only third grade and not like these things will keep him out of college or anything. Still, it is such a let down whenever the screw ups come. I want to cling to the fact that he shows every sign of understanding the materials he's studying - it's third grade and he's working problems like:

25 + n = 47.

And he can figure it out correctly. That is a good sign that he's probably not lagging behind in his actual math skills. But I have no idea how to teach him to focus so he can finish in the time allotted. And keeping his papers such that he can find them . . . well, that seems like an insurmoutable task right now.

Somebody tell me, do boys mature into some of these focusing and organizational skills, of have I messed up and left him without an important life skill? Parenting is so full of unknowns!

1 Peter 5:6 was discussed on the radio as I was driving home from town today (one of the four trips I had to take, which is absolutely dispicable!). It says:

"Humble yourself, therefore, under God's mighty hand,

that he may lift you up in due time."

That verse sticks with me today, and I'm pondering it. No sudden insight, just a need to think about that. Especially what it is to humble myself to God's hand, and that the lifting up comes "in due time." What is due time? I guess only God knows, so the implication is a need to trust His timing. Those are my thoughts there.

Have a great Friday!

16 comments:

shirley said...

Lovely scenes - I really like the 2nd shot. TFS!

CindyTykie said...

lovely scene shots

Anonymous said...

These shots are just beautiful, I love your conversions. Feel better soon!

janett said...

I don't know the answers to your questions but as a Mom with a boy that several diagnosed "issues", I certainly feel your pain. It's so hard when you know they are capable of so much more than they are putting out. I hope things improve for both of you.

Linnao said...

Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

The answer is YES...boys do grow into it. (with help from parents of course) I have studied enough child psychology to assess my own poor parenting skills when I am doing them...lol. I just how committed you are those...that is really inspiring.

Your photos are just lovely to...the conversions really work.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

You absolutely have the best scenery ever. Boys somtimes tend to be slow starters but in the end they really advance quickly in math and science. Been there done that. (We have 6 boys 1 girl) I see it happen. In due time? As humasns it truly is hard to wait for that "due time" sometimes but in the end it is rewarding.

Karen said...

BEAUTIFUL photos!

Rachael said...

Beautiful shots of the trees and snow!

Kate said...

gorgeous shots!

liz mataraza said...

i don't know about teaching kids organization and time awareness...i think it's just something you have or don't have. but, that doesn't mean he can't learn it and make it work for him. i wish i knew. my child is already showing signs of this and he's in 1st grade.

lovely pics of course...have a great weekend!

vtpuggirl said...

I know that feeling well, the kind of sick/sorta well. This past week has just been awful in that respect, the only thing that helps me is going to bed early. Sad but true. I have the exact same questions right now about J's speech, have I screwed up here or will it come in due time, when do you panic and insist on testing. Parenting is just so hard! Thanks for your comments on my work, my sister will be there definitely thru the weekend.

Davinie Fiero said...

Love the scenery. It reminds me of Eastern Oregon!

Kristii said...

Your pictures are just lovely Susan Beth!! Hope you have a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Such beautiful photos! And it seems as if I'm always battling with my 12 year old son on keeping organized and managing his time well. He gets mostly A's in school, but it's an ongoing battle so I'm not sure if they grow out of it; I'd like to know when! ;)

Denise said...

Your photos are stunning. Do I always repeat this? Well, they always are. The photo of the stand of birches took my breath away. I am always on the lookout for this shot. Now when I do find it I know what it should look like! :o)