Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Looking Back: Looking forward!

LOOKING BACK
I stayed in my car for almost an hour and a half to hear the radio broadcast of today's historic events.I remember when I was in 5th grade I became aware of the injustices that had been heaped upon African American people, and it stunned me. There was a family down the street from us who were black, and I remember looking at them and thinking "How can those horrible things have happened to people just like them? It's not fair." For some reason at that point it just all hit me - might have had something to do with the report I did for school about slavery. Anyway, that was 1974 or 1975, and I think at that time I would have hoped for a black president but thought it was not possible in my life time.
LOOKING FORWARD:

Now, here we are, and I'm driving my child to school trying to explain what makes this so special - a third grader does not quite get it as demonstrated by the fact that when I said this was our first African American president he said "Obama's African American?" with a great deal of puzzlement, followed with "I just thought he was American."

I admit to having serious disagreements with Obama on policy, but I also was really excited today as he was sworn in - more excited than any other inauguration I remember.

Congratulations to our country!

18 comments:

Becca said...

Nice shots! Very cool that you made a connection w/a childhood memory...I love it when that happens!

Anonymous said...

Awesome shots! Great post too!
cari

janett said...

Like that rearview mirror one. It's been a day to remember, that's for sure!

Linnao said...

Beautiful pictures! Great post too

vtpuggirl said...

I feel the same way, it's a historic wonderful moment. Even if I don't agree with all his policies. It has shut down the entire town now for almost a week though, I'm glad it's over.

Reds said...

Great journaling - love the mountains!

Lisa Dorsey said...

Such a cool post title, post and gorgeous pictures too!

Becky said...

I like the way you tied together looking back/looking forward with your photos. It looks like you live in such a beautiful place. Isn't it great in a way that our kids don't grasp how historic this is?

Mom2Drew said...

You have a good world view with your comments. I think it's ok to disagree, but in a respectful/productive way. I'm hoping I can be as gracious and patient. Love your POV shots.

Angela2932 said...

This sounds like a great conversation with your child, and I love the way you symbolized it with looking forward/looking backward. No matter who's in office, at any particular point in time, our country has some incredible foundational principles that should make us all proud.

Unknown said...

My kids didn't care that he was African American either. Amazing what time does. So proud of our kids. It shouldn't be the color that we are focusing on anyway.

Gypsy Girl(Brenda) said...

Very clever shots. Nice scenery. Yesterday was a very eventful memorable day.

liz mataraza said...

i think your son had it right...good for him. :)

Anonymous said...

coolness!!

Helsbells said...

Really great photos. Must note that down as an idea to use :)

Denise said...

Such an awesome post! I love how you tied the photos into the feeling and words of your post.

Heather said...

beautiful photos!
i tagged you on my blog..i hope you'll play along!

Marty said...

Nice picture of the Saddle! I never get tired of the view. If you get a chance, read the book, "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin. It changed my life at 17.