Saturday, January 17, 2009

One Photo Three ways

So, I only shot four photos today, and three of them are total junk. It didn't help that I didn't start trying to get my photo for the day until it was pretty much dark. And having no flash, I had to improvise. So, the camera was set on top of the cab of the truck on the side of the road as I drove home from work. But, I haven't missed a day yet, so I'm happy.
Here's what I got. First, just adjusted a little for saturation, a little lighting and sharpened:
Then, with the Midnight Pro action:
And black and white using the Goldenrod action: That is my POTD for January 17.
And, I've got a challenge coming up in photography. One brought on by myself, but I'm hoping for suggestions from the "peanut gallery." Before Christmas I volunteered to take pictures of a woman at church's hair. She has beautiful long long hair (longer than mine), and is about to lose it as she starts chemo for breast cancer. So, we are going to make the best possible photos of that beautiful hair while we can. That means Monday morning.

I'm limited by lack of indoor photography equipment, so most of the photos will be outside. We'll also do some by the little door/window in the barn, using a sheet to reflect light, because those can be pretty cool photos. Tomorrow I'm going to head on out to the barn in the morning before church to "practice."

Right now I fully admit, I'm sort of nervous about this shoot, because basically, there will be no chance for "do overs." I don't know this lady very well, but I felt called to ask her if she would like to do this when I learned of her cancer. I have very long hair like hers, and I know that losing it will be a significant blow to her identity. Along with the self-esteem issues involved in losing your breasts and the utter devastation of being diagnosed with that terrible cancer when you aren't very old and have an elementary age daughter. It seemed like the least I could do. I wasn't sure she'd be interested with all the other things going on in her life. But she called on Thursday and asked if she could take me up on the offer.

Please, if you have any suggestions for poses, props, whatever leave a comment. We'll be by my old barn, pictured a couple posts down, it will be morning, with lots of eastern sun and blue sky, with most of the snow dissipating. I've got my Pentax *ist and my 18-55 lens with my Hoya Polarizing filter, and my imagination to work with. Open for suggestions here.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

20 comments:

Jess said...

Wow, it is always amazing to me how a single photo can take on so many different "moods depending on how you process it! Beautiful.

I think it is a wonderful thing for you to photograph the woman's hair. I am not much help as far as ideas right now, all I can think of is a closeup of her hands as she is brushing her hair maybe?

Liz said...

Gorgeous shots! I really like the first version, the colors are simply amazing!

I think that whatever you capture for your friend is going to be perfect because you are doing it out of love. My suggestion for a shot is to have her standing in front of a window looking out, with her hair over her shoulder closest to you. A really traditional pose but I think it empahsizes the hair without screaming "I am trying to take a photo of her hair!"

Anonymous said...

Oh these are amazing. I love the first one so much. The color is just awesome.

What a wonderful thing for you to do photographs of your friends hair. Good luck to you. You will do a great job.
Cari

Reds said...

My fave is the first one because of the gorgeous sunset!

And I have to say you have one big heart to offer your services to this poor lady. The best of luck!

Michelle said...

love the photo with the midnight action.

I think its awesome you're photographing the lady's hair. maybe you can shoot her from behind while she's brushing her hair in a mirror. and put some up in curlers or however she styles it. a hair flip?

Chell said...

Needtake on one photo, I love the last one..

You got some good suggestions for your upcoming shoot, whatever you do she will cherish them. Best of luck to you

--sme said...

I like all three versions of that photo! (But I'm a sucker for sunsets, so just about anything you did to it would knock me over!)

As far as your photoshoot, keep it fun. My dad just finished chemo treatments and we always laughed--even at the toughest things--because what else can you do? Personally, I would want to see me with my hair, see me as a complete person. You might also ask her what she had in mind--maybe there is something significant or a story you don't know. Best of luck to you and kudos for your kindness at such a difficult time in her life.

Rita said...

Gorgeous POTD! Love the vibrant colors in the first one! Good luck with your photo shoot. What an amazing thing to do for her. I'm sure she will treasure them! I don't have any photography advice, as my style is to take as many pics of my kids on the fly as I can and hope at least one is in focus!

Linnao said...

That is an amazing photoshoot you are preparing, such a great idea!
Love your pictures, and prefer the first, amazing colors in the sky!

Donnah Ciempka said...

These are all so pretty and so different - my favourite is number 1.

Jennifer Davis said...

You are so amazing, what a thing to give someone...truly special and I think you already have done what needed to be done and done so beautifuly just in that very act of kindness.

When I think of poses and things, for some reason I keep thinking about hands. Our hands do so much and almost have an identity all their own at times, they tend to weather well too...perhaps you could get a shot with her hands? Hope I don't sound too crazy!

Hope you get to share some of the shots that you get, enjoy your weekend!

Jen

Denise said...

Congrats on seventeen days of PODs. Your photo today is stellar. Love the richness in photo one.

You are doing a beautiful cand caring thing for this woman. I have no advice for you as you take phenomenal photos already. Just have a good time and I am certain the photos will be stunning.

Kate said...

I love your photos. so I'm no real help... Sorry!

Nice of you to take those pictures of her long hair. Hopefully she'll be lucky and not lose it some don't... good luck to her!

Amy Adams (aka Scrapitgal) said...

What a beautiful thing you are doing for your friend at church. I am praying for you and am sure you will do a wonderul job. I can only offer my prayers, for I am an auto click and shoot girl, but I love your photography and it is awlays stunning. And it's not only your photography skills, but your artistic eye.

Cath said...

What a wonderful thing to do. I hope the photos turn out beautifully and that her treatment goes well.

Sweet Peripety said...

Hey Susan Beth, what beautifully done photographs! I love all your pics......you have such wonderful scenery where you live hehe!

I will pray for your phtooshoot tomorrow...here's a few thoughts....lying down on the ground, head shot with her hair all around her. Also, a sort of side shot or from behind, with her slightly turning her head, but her hair naturally falling in front of her face (notALL her face, but some features showing)...her putting a flower in her hair...I am sure you will do just fine...it's a wonderful thing you are doing!

Joanne Fowler said...

How wonderful of you! Close ups are great like barely part of her face so you focus on the hair in some shots. Set her near a window for some dramatic lighting? Have fun!

LOVE the trees! I really love the color in the first one!

Nicole said...

honey, thinking of your friend...and i have no doubt whatsoever that you will take beautiful pics of her.

xoxo

DebW said...

Beatuiful POTD! Love the first one!
As far as the shoot tomorrow, what about a couple of full length profiles with the hair over one shoulder? Something is telling me to show it as a part of her...how should I say?....sensual side? Then what about a couple of pics with some type of hat that hides a lot of the hair that are like a transition to the upcoming change?
I know you'll do a good job Susan, you're a sensitive and considerate person. I think as soon as you two can relax it will all start to flow.

april said...

wow, i love your photography! the landscape shots are phenomenal. just gorgeous!