Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's an UGLY World

Sometimes, being in the business of a criminal defense law practice, it hits home to Andy and I just what an ugly world we live in. By that I mean how much sin has caused pain and sorrow for so many people - really, for everybody. But, it just seems that some people get hit with more of it than others.

This was actually an especially hard day, learning the back ground of a client in an amount of detail that is just shocking. Makes you want to get on your knees right away and pray - prayers of help for the people you heard about, prayers of thanksgiving for being spared that kind of a life, and prayers of sorrow for the fact that our world has come to where it is. I just want to cry out to God, but in some ways I'm not really sure what to say.

Here is my picture for today, January 7. I shot it this morning before I knew about the ugliness Andy would be exposed to in the afternoon interview. It's a building behind the beautiful new library in Bozeman.

It just struck me this morning how ironic it is to have the beautiful new (like opened in the last 18 months) library (see last two posts and below) sitting in the middle of old run down buildings. But, Bozeman is like that - lots of juxtaposition of beauty and ugly, old and new, modern and outdated, smart and stupid. I guess that's part of what makes life here so interesting.

I also shot these two photos this morning while waiting for the library to open. The one above shows the back of the library from the ridge behind it where there is a "metro" walking trail. The one below is a house in a neighborhood sort of behind the library, and it's green color against the grey of everything else today was striking to me, so I shot a frame or two of it.

Hope this isn't too much of a downer post, but sometimes you have days where you just can't escape the ugliness. And really, it is probably pretty important to be aware because otherwise we can't help, reach out, relate, or pray for those in need.

10 comments:

Kelly said...

I understand how you feel. I work in a not so nice industry and it really brings me down sometimes too. (makes me want to work somewhere where everyone is happy & shiny)
Hope you feel better tomorrow.
And gorgeous pics ;o)

Kate said...

Once upon a time I was a juvenile probabtion officer. It opened my eyes, broke my heart to see all the suffering people put each other through... It also made me very glad to be from the family I am from and for the opportunities I've been given. I hope that I did help in some small ways at least...

Jenn said...

Having worked in law enforcement I know what you mean by UGLY! I often thought that my office was sitting on top raw sewage...in more ways then one!
Hope today is a little prettier!

Laura Fiore said...

I'm sorry for the ugliness thrust into your face...I pray that you find peace in your job and know that you are making a difference for someone whether you see it or not.

Beautiful photos!

*reyanna* said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! And I know what you mean... I have some total ugliness going on in my life right now, and it's very disheartening! Hang in there! :)

*reyanna* said...

Oh! And beautiful photos! :)

*Paula* said...

I think it's all about trying to see the beauty in with the ugly and that is what you are doing. Hope you keep seeing the beauty.

Anonymous said...

It's gotten to where I can hardly stand to listen to the news so as not to hear all the horrible, awful, devastating stories that happen every day. I can't even imagine what you have to go through in your work environment. And I guess it's true - we have to seek out the good to balance the bad. I think if we keep striving to do good things, we CAN make a difference - even if it's bit by bit.

Love your photos!

Helsbells said...

I love your picture for today. I love how old buildings look - there's something really interesting about them.

denine zielinski said...

Sometimes life could be a downer if you let it. I liked when I was in ignorant bliss to how nasty and cruel people can be. The older I got, the more I saw and it is tough to pretend its not there. Keep your chin up!